AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Can we appeal a trademark decision?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

How has someone been able to trademark "cricket"? It's the second most popular sport in the world.

I run a cricket statistics site. How am I supposed to advertise it if I'm not allowed to use the word cricket?

It seems a very strange decision to ban that word. It's like banning people from using the word football or basketball in an advertisement.

What can I do about this? Should I just give up on using google for advertising?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Can we appeal a trademark decision?

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Adrian's advice is great - but the most important part of his advice is to contact your local office.

There are exceptions - I would imagine that the trademark is for the lighter company (I could be wrong, but let's assume it is).

So here's what happens - Cricket register their trademark and Google has the word cricket as a trademarked term. You run an ad with the word in the text and Google disapproves the ads.

But it's not quite as simple as that - what actually happens is that the Google bots disapprove the ads - because of the trademarked term.

The bots make no distinction - after all they are just scanning the words...

Contacting your local office will almost certainly get your ads manually approved.

If they didn't, well, it just wouldn't be cricket, would it?

View solution in original post

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Michael ! Welcome to the Community !

Please read the adwords trademark policy , it has some exceptions.

Also it says that you can use trademark keywords , although it applies restrictions to trademark in the text of ads.

https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/6118?hl=en

For example :

"

Exceptions: Here are some cases when the policy for ad text doesn't apply in the way described above:

• Ad campaigns targeting the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, or Ireland may use a trademark in ad text if the ad is in compliance with our policy on resellers and informational sites.

• Advertisers can use a trademarked term within ad text if they are authorized, meaning that the trademark owner sent Google the necessary form allowing an advertiser's particular account to use a certain term."

Can't you get an authorization from the trademark owner ?

It also says 

"

• An ad can use a trademarked term in its text if either of these conditions is true:
    • the ad text uses the term descriptively in its ordinary meaning rather than in reference to the trademark
    • the ad is not in reference to the goods or services corresponding to the trademarked term "

You can also call google by phone to obtain further information :

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/8206?hl=en&hlrm=en

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Adrian's advice is great - but the most important part of his advice is to contact your local office.

There are exceptions - I would imagine that the trademark is for the lighter company (I could be wrong, but let's assume it is).

So here's what happens - Cricket register their trademark and Google has the word cricket as a trademarked term. You run an ad with the word in the text and Google disapproves the ads.

But it's not quite as simple as that - what actually happens is that the Google bots disapprove the ads - because of the trademarked term.

The bots make no distinction - after all they are just scanning the words...

Contacting your local office will almost certainly get your ads manually approved.

If they didn't, well, it just wouldn't be cricket, would it?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
just as a follow up... looks like cricket is the trademark of Cricket Communications in the US - so your ad approval shouldn't be a problem at all....

http://www.cellular-news.com/story/43626.php

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Great advice, how do you search for who owns a trademark ? Is there a special page from google that handles such queries ?

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
I just searched for "Cricket trademark" and found that piece about them suing someone else!

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

I assumed that this was a common problem and google provided a solution to search what trademarks are owned by who in order to facilitate the request for aproval from the owners, but it seems that things are not so evolved.