AdWords
3.7K members online now
3.7K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Can they use my dot.com name in their ads?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

My business is earplugstore.com When you google it, Swim Outlet comes up as they are using Earplugstore com in their key words. Can they be stopped ?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Can they use my dot.com name in their ads?

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner

Hello Kathy B,

sure they can! But it won't be a cheap nor fast for you to do so.

First you have to make sure your name: earplugstore or earplugstore.com is a registered trademark of yours. If it is already, then you are half way through, if not you should go ahead and consider come forward to it.

After you have this trademarked and you are trademark owner you can file complain form from Google here:
Trademark Complaint Form

There you will fill information about your Adwords account, about your Trademark and then make sure you select: Your complaint involves all advertisers in section: Scope of Complaint – Advertisers Involved

This way you will make sure no advertiser can use your trademark text in their ads.

Alex

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
HI Kathy!
Let me add a few lines to what Alex suggested. Of course it is wize to register a trademark and file a complaint if someone else uses it in the ad text. But keep in mind Google will not investigate or restrict the use of trademark terms in keywords, even if a trademark complaint is received. If the trademerk is not registered yet, i can advise you to file a complaint now, as the Heading of the ad does not correspond the content of the landing page, and the name of your site is used misleadingly.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Couple of things to underline.. first - as already pointed out - they can use any words they want as keywords - there is no trademark protection for this... and

Secondly, there is a good chance that you are seeing your name there because they are using DKI (Dynamic Keyword Insertion) in their headline. Many people overlook the problems of using DKI - it needs a lot more attention than we realise...

I would certainly consider sending a complaint to Google - as this will flag your name for any future situations - but I would also consider a cease and desist (polite) to Swim Outlet... it's likely they don't even realise that this is happening.