AdWords
4.1K members online now
4.1K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Can't use keyword others do

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

This has been going on for more than a year. I read postings about an archery site that seemed to have a similar problem.

We sell 350 food items including Apricot Kernels. While some people buy these simply as food, they are mostly used to fight - or prevent - cancer. There is no scientific basis for any cancer helping properties. I do understand they are controversial.

We have been dis-allowed over and over again trying to use APRICOT KERNELS or any variation in adwords. It is on some list as a dis-approved substance.

Our landing page has a disclaimer about any health benefits.

When you Google search Apricot Kernels you first see many ads in Google Shopping fron Walmart, GNC, Ebay and more.

Then you see keyword ads from several sellers including;

Amazon.com

lemmo.com - a Canadian Cancer Center

Ebay

EatToBeat.com - really? that domain name says all.

Nuts.com - this landing page has a prominent 'customer review' that says, "...have used these apricot kernels to stop skin cancer in my mom! They are delicious and I know I'm providing a way for my body to be protected from cancer! Win, win!"

My website makes absolutely no medical claims.

I have been around and around with Google people. It has been 'escalated' with no help.

I have been told several times that Google provides a 'level playing field'......NOT.

I was told that surely the bot would catch up to these other sites. I was told to - and did - fill out a form to advise Google of these offending site. A year later all these others are allowed to use this keyword and I am not.

Recently a friendly Google rep, who couldn't understand why my ads were banned, told me to try revising an ad that we had mis-spelled apricot as 'aprcot'. We revised that and within 2 hours it was dis-approved again. Nice try.

I suppose I don't want to do anything to get the dreaded permanent ban for my whole business but I am extremely frustrated by this discrimination. In the case of the archery problem it was stated that perhaps Walmart gets away with it because it is not their sole business. As I said at the beginning, this is 1 of 350 FOOD items we sell.

Any help appreciated.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Is this a shopping campaign or AdWords- the Policy is a bit different;

Regardless, in most cases  the issue ads with the claims - not with the product;

Please share the website and the specific URL of the product

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

It's Adwords. Absolutely no claims in ads or on site.

www. SunOrganic.com

http://www.sunorganicfarm.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=AK

We have tried using both the home page and the category page as landing page for these ads.

Thank you, David

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Google relies on legitscript  to assess / evaluate the safety of health and food products.

Apricot kernel is marked as a "red flag" - hence not allowed;

https://www.legitscript.com/products/Apricot+Kernels/

Pay attention to the regulatory warnings.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

That's what I've been told.

Why are ebay, amazon, nuts.com, eattobeat.com etc. allowed to use this keyword for search?

Where's the level field?

David

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Nuts.com with inferred claims on site.