AdWords
2K members online now
2K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Can a competitor copy the text of my ad?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

A competitor, selling similar products to us, has copied the text of both lines of one of our ads exactly, word for word, including punctuation.  Is this permitted?  I spent a long time developing and testing that ad, and I don't like the idea that my competitor can profit from my hard work and experimentation at zero cost.  Since we appear in the first two positions, it also means that there is minimal differentiation between us in the user's eyes, which seems unfair.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Can a competitor copy the text of my ad?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hmmm...interesting...

But I don't think Google protects ad-copy (copyright of original ad- text)]

Google does protect trade names, but not (as far as I know ) the ad-copy;

If this is your genuine ad-copy, you'll have to settle that based on local copy-right laws in your country.

Check Google's Policy on copyright:

http://support.google.com/adwords/certification/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=13347

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

We're in France, where laws relating to both plagiarism and "concurrence déloyale" (= unfair competition, which - although I'm not a lawyer - I believe this to be) are pretty strict.  The ads are showing in French, and are obviously targeted at consumers in France.  Our competitor, however, is in the UK, which would make it harder to enforce the rules if they refuse to cooperate

I couldn't find an explicit Google policy on this question either, which I find odd.  Surely this question has arisen before?

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
Yes, you don't have any other options.Instead you can fool your competitor by promoting your worst ad copy for a few days with low budget and see what happens.

Or else you can leave all the thing alone and work on improving your customers experience on the landing page and your products.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

@smnmwb;

I have heard many complaints about trademark violations but not on ad-copy infringement;

In the link I provided Google says:

If you have a question about whether what you or a client manager are doing is copyright infringement, you should consult with a lawyer. Generally, copyright infringement involves making a copy of someone else's work without their permission. For more information on this Act, please visit the U.S. Copyright Office website.

I think your case should be resolved based on the EU copyright laws.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’