AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.3K members online now
2.3K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Can a brand use another brands name in their Adwords misrepresenting their actual company name?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We have found a company misrepresenting who they are in their ad. They are doing

http://www.company.com/The_other_company_name as the url and also in the ad heading saying

The Other Company Name - Great Value Best Prices.

We feel this is against Google Adword Policy can anyone verify this is the case.

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by CommunityMini (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: Can a brand use another brands name in their Adwords misrepresenting their actual company name?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 11
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi all,

We investigate the use of trademarks in ad text. However, we do not investigate URLs as part of our trademark complaint procedure. This is because the use of a URL does not necessarily constitute trademark use, particularly in the case of post-domain paths or subdomains. 

Display URLs must accurately reflect the URL of the advertiser's website. We have several AdWords link policies created to ensure that ads use display URLs which accurately indicate where a user will be led when clicking on the ad.

Because Google is not in a position to be the arbiter of third-party disputes, we encourage you to contact the advertiser directly regarding your concerns. Additionally, if the domain name contains or is similar to a trademark -- but is actually owned by the advertiser -- the trademark owner is the appropriate party to handle the matter, such as through the Uniform Domain Resolution Process (UDRP).

Hope this is helpful--cheers,
Cody

View solution in original post

Re: Can a brand use another brands name in their Adwords misrepresenting their actual company name?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi maddogskeg,

If the company name is a trade mark, then as per adwords policy the trade mark owner can restrict it's misrepresentation in ads.

But Google will not investigate and restrict use of the trademark in display URLs because the presence of trademarked term within a URL may not necessarily constitute trademark use, such as in the case of post-domain paths or subdomains.

Please find more information here.

Find more information about filing a trade mark complaint here.

Hope this helps,

Info

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello;

I am not sure I think if the trade name is after the / (e.g. www.companyname.com/ competitor's name) Google can investigate.

This is my understanding to the following line (in the tradename policy):

>>>"...the presence of trademarked term within a URL may not necessarily constitute trademark use, such as in the case of post-domain paths or subdomains"

My interpretation for "such as" in the context of this sentence is : using the trade-name within the domain is not a violation, unlike a violation when using the trade name in a post domain path.

In any case, file a complaint. Please tell us about the outcome;

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

That is a very valid interpretation Moshe...Can you please get a confirmation?

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

@Info

If you can remind me after all are back on Jan 2. No one to refer this case these days.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

@maddogskeg;

Can you please update us after reporting and the results?

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Yes Moshe, I will do that Smiley Happy

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi Moshe,

A small reminder Smiley Happy, Please get a confirmation!

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

@Info;

I have escalated the thread asking Google to comment;

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor