AdWords
4.5K members online now
4.5K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Can The FDA Regulate Keywords?

Badged Google Partner
# 1
Badged Google Partner

I have a new client that wants to advertise their skin lotion that treats bruises in elderly. The product does not "cure" or "prevent" bruises, it is a treatment lotion. It's closer to a cosmetic product than a medication.

They want to review all of my AdWords keywords and remove anything that has any mention of "cure", "heal", "prevent", ect as a keyword. I disagree with there concerns about the keywords.

My ads do not state, in any way, that the product cures bruises. The ads state that the product helps improve circulation and strengthen the skin. Searchers never see keywords, only ads, so I'm under the impression that there should be no reason to be concerned about the language of my keywords.

QUESTION: Can the FDA regulate keywords?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by LauraAdEngineer (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: Can The FDA Regulate Keywords?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello chrisschaeffer; welcome

This is a nice question ...

As for the Policy . The policy is clear:

• Additionally, Google AdWords prohibits the advertisement of sites whose primary purpose is to sell products that claim or imply to be as effective as anabolic steroids, weight-loss drugs, erectile dysfunction drugs, prescription drugs, or controlled substances, irrespective of claims of legality.

The FDA does not "regulate" keywords. But, the system checks the compliance of the ad-copy and the site content.

Hence, if your site implies that the product is as effective as prescription drugs (on the market); you are at risk (of account suspension.)

And a final note; please be aware that if your keywords are about "curing" and "healing", while the ad-copy and the site have no content about "curing" (since not allowed), then these KWs are irrelevant (by AdWords terminology) and eventually will end up with low QS.

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by LauraAdEngineer (Google Employee)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello chrisschaeffer; welcome

This is a nice question ...

As for the Policy . The policy is clear:

• Additionally, Google AdWords prohibits the advertisement of sites whose primary purpose is to sell products that claim or imply to be as effective as anabolic steroids, weight-loss drugs, erectile dysfunction drugs, prescription drugs, or controlled substances, irrespective of claims of legality.

The FDA does not "regulate" keywords. But, the system checks the compliance of the ad-copy and the site content.

Hence, if your site implies that the product is as effective as prescription drugs (on the market); you are at risk (of account suspension.)

And a final note; please be aware that if your keywords are about "curing" and "healing", while the ad-copy and the site have no content about "curing" (since not allowed), then these KWs are irrelevant (by AdWords terminology) and eventually will end up with low QS.

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Your client is just being careful. If you make any claim to "prevent, treat or cure a health condition" you bring your product into the FDA's sphere of regulation. They just want to steer clear of the FDA.