AdWords
4.9K members online now
4.9K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Can I use a brand's name in my ad copy if they give me permission?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Subject says it all. If a product I am advertising gives me persmission to use their brand name in my ad copy, can I use it? Also, how do I make sure Google is aware that I have permission to use it?

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: Can I use a brand's name in my ad copy if they give me permission?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi flipnetllc,

Google has their own trademark policy for AdWords.

"Advertisers can use a trademarked term within ad text if they are authorized, meaning that the trademark owner sent Google the necessary form allowing an advertiser's particular account to use a certain term."

There is a trademark authorization form which the TM owner must complete and send to Google to authorize you use it in your ads etc.

If you can get the TM owner to complete this (and they have to add your customer ID in it) you'll be OK to advertise on their trademark.

I hope this helps you.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

P.S. If the TM owner hasn't applied to have Google block other advertisers using their TM you may not need to do the above. Just make sure you DO have their permission.

Zee Community Manager
Community Manager
# 3
Zee Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi flipnetllc,

If you have a business agreement with the trademark owner or have some other reason to believe that you should be authorized, the trademark owner will have to send Google an authorization notice. Please contact the trademark owner directly, as Google cannot arrange the authorization for you. We cannot accept licensing agreements in lieu of formal authorization.

For more information please read this useful Help Center article.

Best,

Zee
G+

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee

Hi flipnetllc,

You should also read the policy on trademark use by resellers and informational sites.  In some countries Google will let you use trademarks without explicit permission from the trademark holder, as long as you are selling the trademarked product or providing information about it.

Still, if you do have permission from the trademark owner and can get them to fill out the authorization form, you should do that too in order to avoid any potential confusion.

Laura

AdWords engineer

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the link ( trademark authorization form ).it will be a great help for us ....

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Flipnetllc,

For every organization, there is registrated trademark which is been legally allocated. If the owner give you fully permission to use his/her trandemarked logo as a search term in ad copies then you can do so.But, In case, you cann't make use of any registered trademarked as a search term in ad copy. In Google have its rules in 3rd Party Authorization Request Form (Trademark Complaint) which helps the owner to directly contact to Google on using his brand name (trademarked) as search term in the ad copies. It mainly covers organization name, owner name, owner's official id & Trademark Registration Number (ID). 

So, Grand the permissions from Owners & then make use of its name in ad copy!