AdWords
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Can I use Ad Words for my hunting store if my ads never promote guns?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am marketing a sporting good store in Central Illinois.  We do have on our site knives, ammo, hunting accessories of similar nature, just like Bass Pro and Cabelas.  We want to use Google Ad words to market our business, but NOT use it for ANYTHING related to these items.  We simply want to use it to promote things like fising gear or hunting clothing, and so on.  IS there a problem with that according to the rules?  

As I read it, as long as we are not using the Ad Words to promote the forbidden products we should be fine, and in fact I did a search for fishing gear and a sponosored Ad for Cabelas came up and when I click through I could, in fact, buy a knife for example.  I am assuming I would be fine as long as I don't promote the forbidden items through the Ad Words Campaign.

Correct?

Thank you,

Douglas Fouts

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Can I use Ad Words for my hunting store if my ads never promote g

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi there;
The issue is not just what you advertise  in your ad text / ad-copy  - but also what are you offer on your website / the landing page (the user is directed to).

So, my interpretation, is that you would need to create / design a separate website (i.e. A different URL) which does not list / sell the prohibited articles.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for the response...although I am still not sure how or why then chains like Cabelas is able to do what they are doing. They are clearly participating in AdWords, and yet when you click through to their site they are absolutely selling prohibited articles like fighting knives, weapons etc.. Let me ask you this, if we created a landing page that the Ad Words connected to when clicked through, that did not have anywhere on it the prohibited items, but through which the user could click through from that page TO the actual site that did have these items for sale, are we in the clear?

Thanks again!

Doug

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Generally speaking, I think this should be OK; but - you know- until checked by Google you never know.... There is no "pre-ruling" as far as Policy issues. Smiley Surprised

As for other advertising violation the Policy - you could file a complaint using this link:
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/176378?hl=en

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’