AdWords
4K members online now
4K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Can I target a city name and service that happens to be a business?

Not applicable
# 1
Not applicable

I am running a campaign for a client and have had some issues.

I have been targeting the following term:  Thousand Oaks Urgent Care

This targets two things:  Thousand Oaks (city in CA), and Urgent Care (the type of service they offer)

The ad title I have been running is "Thousand Oaks Urgent Care," and this just so happens to be the name of a business in the area.  Am I violating any TOS for Google with this?  They have complained to my client and made threats, and while I can understand they don't like the competition, I am simply targeting the area and service provided.  I could be wrong, but it shouldn't be my client's problem that they named their business after a city and service.

1 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Can I target a city name and service that happens to be a business

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

No you are not, according to the Adwords Trademarks Policy

Please read more about it here

https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/6118?hl=en#

Here is a quote :

An ad can use a trademarked term in its text if either of these conditions is true:

• the ad text uses the term descriptively in its ordinary meaning rather than in reference to the trademark
  • the ad is not in reference to the goods or services corresponding to the trademarked term

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

If they have registered the name as a trademark then you cannot use it - if they haven't you can.

On the other hand, presumably you are competitors in relatively close proximity - it might be "nice" of you to change your ads to avoid an escalation of cross targeting.

How would it impact on your ads to use the title  Urgent Care Thousand Oaks  ?

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

No you are not, according to the Adwords Trademarks Policy

Please read more about it here

https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/6118?hl=en#

Here is a quote :

An ad can use a trademarked term in its text if either of these conditions is true:

• the ad text uses the term descriptively in its ordinary meaning rather than in reference to the trademark
  • the ad is not in reference to the goods or services corresponding to the trademarked term
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

If they have registered the name as a trademark then you cannot use it - if they haven't you can.

On the other hand, presumably you are competitors in relatively close proximity - it might be "nice" of you to change your ads to avoid an escalation of cross targeting.

How would it impact on your ads to use the title  Urgent Care Thousand Oaks  ?

Not applicable
# 4
Not applicable

The ad content was changed to Urgent Care - Thousand Oaks as courtesy at the request of the client.  I was simply curious how it could play out as the original seemed to perform a bit better.