AdWords
1.3K members online now
1.3K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Can I run ads on trademark keywords ?

Badged Google Partner
# 1
Badged Google Partner

Can I run ads on trademark keywords if I dont use those keywords in my ads?

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Sayem M
September 2015

Re: Can I run ads on trademark keywords ?

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Sayem, If you need to explain this delicate situation to the AdWords client, I would use this credible resource.

It proves that big enough companies do not hesitate to launch law suits about this practice, and then the cost of the law assistance could be greater than the advantage brought by some trademark clicks.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ericgoldman/2013/05/14/suing-over-keyword-advertising-is-a-bad-business-...

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hello, Sayem.

According to Google's trademark policy (https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/6118?hl=en), you can.

"Google will not investigate or restrict the use of trademark terms in keywords, even if a trademark complaint is received."
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
Google allow the use of trademark in AdWords text ads unless the owner submit a valid complaint, even if your trademark is registered. If a trademark owner files a complaint with Google about the use of their trademark in AdWords ads, Google will investigate and may enforce certain restrictions on the use of that trademark in AdWords text ad except the two following cases:
Ad campaigns targeting the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, or Ireland may use a trademark in ad text if the ad is in compliance with our policy on resellers and informational sites.

Advertisers can use a trademarked term within ad text if they are authorized, meaning that the trademark owner sent Google the necessary form allowing an advertiser's particular account to use a certain term.

but you can use trademrk terms in your keywords even if a trademark complaint is received Google will not investigate or restrict the use of trademark terms in keywords,.

For more info you can read the next article about AdWords trademark policy:
https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/6118?hl=en

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Sayem,

I want to assist here with only 1 more point about precaution. Avoid using Dynamic Keywords Insertion in an ad group with trademark keywords. Contrary to a common missconception , this feature inserts your keywords in the Ad text, not what the user searches and the resulting DKI Ad could end up having trademark keywords even if you didn't mean to.

Badged Google Partner
# 5
Badged Google Partner

Thanks everyone for helping me out in this.
Now I know that if I run ads on my competitors brand name. It would be in accordance with the Google Policy. But is it ethically okay to do this?

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
In my opinion it is not ethical at all. However, I've often seen this practice used.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Sayem M
September 2015

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Sayem, If you need to explain this delicate situation to the AdWords client, I would use this credible resource.

It proves that big enough companies do not hesitate to launch law suits about this practice, and then the cost of the law assistance could be greater than the advantage brought by some trademark clicks.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ericgoldman/2013/05/14/suing-over-keyword-advertising-is-a-bad-business-...

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

@Adrian;
In the case you linked, the trademark owner lost... So, legally, it's another "legal bench-mark" which  allows this advertising practice.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’