AdWords
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Can I advertise allowed content even if my domain contains a restricted phrase?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm from India, and my client is building an online card game business - Poker & Rummy, to be precise. In India, advertising rummy via Google Adwords is allowed, but advertising poker is not.

Here is the complication. We're going to host both the games - poker and rummy - on the same website, for business and marketing convenience. We want the domain name to include the word "poker" (say, "playpoker.com" - not my domain, just an example) for marketing purposes. We're going to advertise on Google Adwords for just rummy, and NOT for poker. Are there chances that my ads will get disapproved just because the domain name contains "poker"?

The answer to this question is key to decide our domain name, and hence the business' name itself, as well as our marketing strategy. Any help or guidance will be highly appreciated. Looking forward.

Regards,

KK

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Karthik S
April 2017

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

I have never seen a site or ads suspended for the domain name alone, and have often wondered if you could leverage words in a domain name for marketing purposes that are perhaps against Google policy if they appeared on the website.

However, if your site has poker on it, expect to be suspended. Google looks at the site you are sending people to, regardless of your keywords and ad copy.

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

The Policy is clear on that:

>>"Google AdWords allows Rummy advertisements to target India as long as the advertisement doesn't promote any other form of online gambling.

You'll have to set two separate domains. You cannot promote Poker on the same site.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi MosheTLV,

Thanks for the response. We've considered individual domains, but that doubles the marketing efforts required to promote the two games at the least.

From your answer, I gather that having "poker" in the domain name is seen as promoting it.

But, also from your answer, will my ads be rejected if I just host both games in the same website (even when I have a neutral domain name)? Won't it work if I make sure that the whole conversion path promotes rummy alone without any obvious cross-selling elements for poker?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

My guess is that you will be suspended. I would not take the risk.  The domain cannot promote poker.  The Policy is clear and  any attempt to interpret it differently or to "bypass"  will end in a suspension. Google is very strict.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Karthik S
April 2017

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

I have never seen a site or ads suspended for the domain name alone, and have often wondered if you could leverage words in a domain name for marketing purposes that are perhaps against Google policy if they appeared on the website.

However, if your site has poker on it, expect to be suspended. Google looks at the site you are sending people to, regardless of your keywords and ad copy.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks so much for the clarifications, @MosheTLV and @RobSkelton. Appreciate it. And sorry about the much delayed acknowledgement. Smiley Happy