AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.3K members online now
4.3K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Can I advertise a website I don't own or run?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

For example, can I advertise a link to my competitor's Yelp profile (which has very bad reviews)?

3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Agneus
September 2015

Re: Can I advertise a website I don't own or run?

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 10
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
Most probably Tommy is referring to this phrase:

"content that's exploitative or appears to unfairly capitalize at the expense of others "

View solution in original post

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Agneus,

You can advertise a site that you don't own but you have to be aware of the following issues:

1. any affiliate website breaks the bridge page policy; your site will be suspended and your account will be at risk with this business model. Check more info on this thread:

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Ad-Approval-Policy/How-to-properly-do-affiliate-marketing-wi...

Basically, Google does not want these types of businesses.

2. if you are not going to make money by affiliation, then you need to know that the site that you will advertise will have to obey AdWords's policies forever and ever. That's right, forever and ever.

If this site that you do not control will be transferred to a new owner and that owner makes something against the rules of AdWords, then you will be asked to enter compliance with a site that you don't own. That's a very nasty situation...

3. if the site that you don't "own" is Google Play, that will be ok. E.g, you can advertise directly an app from Google Play and we can be sure that this site will always obey AdWords's policies because it is a Google Property.

Best regards,
Razvan Mihaiu

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Anyone else? Also what about the Trademark policy? It seems that I won't be able to use the trademark in the ad copy if I'm reading it correctly?

The ad copy would basically state to not buy xyz's products and to read the reviews. Also it seems that advertising Yelp might be seen as advertising for the advertiser? What if I advertise a link in a website such as ripoffreport.com?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello;

I am not sure I understand the question:

Why would spend your money to promote a competitor...?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

How is having a landing page with bad reviews promoting a competitor? I want to try it. There would be no reference to my business, in fact I wouldn't want my competitor to know it's me.

Also it wouldn't be for generic keywords, it would only trigger if someone types the name of my competitor.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

If a user is searching for my competitor's name, I would show my ad and the benefits of my product - not promoting the competitor,
I am sorry, but I really can't figure the logic behind this strategy... Smiley Surprised

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Actually it makes a lot of sense. My AD wouldn't show because it's not relevant. However an ad pointing to reviews which are relevant would show up. My competitor gets lot of complaints from state AGs, it's one of those. If people would see the truth then my competitors conversion rate would go down and people would be free to go to my other competitors or me.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi Agneus,

I've stated in the past regarding similar situations...and it's been stated here already. Allocating budget to advertise something other than your own organization/products/services is just a waste of resources - especially in a negative manner. I would totally take that extra budget and expand upon my own efforts. And yes, running campaigns directly against my competitors brands etc...as well. There are creative ways to position ad copies in front of your competitors audience that can gain traction. 

Beyond that - I think a smear campaign would likely be covered by this policy.

https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/6015406

Not worth it friend...I promise, you're not the first person to hatch such a plan and there is a reason why there aren't tons of campaigns that do this sort of thing. 

-Tommy

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
PPCBossman, what specifically in https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/6015406 are you referring to?
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Agneus
September 2015

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 10
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
Most probably Tommy is referring to this phrase:

"content that's exploitative or appears to unfairly capitalize at the expense of others "