AdWords
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Can I Use A Trademark In Ads If I'm Not A Competitor?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey ladies and gents,

I'm advertising an information product that educates people on how to save a lot of money on international flights.

I'm interested in bidding on trademarks of airlines so if someone searches "British Airways" I would display an ad saying something like "Guide Shows You How To Get The Best Deals on British Airways Flights"

Is this allowed?

I'm not a competitor and I'm providing information on how to save money on international flights so it seems it would fall under this policy which is allowed: "Informational Sites: The primary purpose of the ad's landing page is to provide informative details about goods or services corresponding to the trademark term."

https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/6118?rd=1#

If I'm not allowed to use their trademark in my ad copy, can I at least bid on the keyword "British Airways" and use more generic ad copy?

(Btw, I'm in the US)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Alec B
September 2015

Re: Can I Use A Trademark In Ads If I'm Not A Competitor?

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

I think so , give it a try and if you violate policy the ads will be dissaproved.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Alec B
September 2015

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

I think so , give it a try and if you violate policy the ads will be dissaproved.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
Question are : do you have anything to lose is the account gets suspended after this action that you take ? Have you saved your account data in Adwords Editor via the export feature , in order to import all the account in a new one if anything goes wrong and google does not undo your account suspension ?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Would suggest you to try this too....

• Advertisers can use a trademarked term within ad text if they are authorized, meaning that the trademark owner sent Google the necessary form allowing an advertiser's particular account to use a certain term
    • Authorization policy

A trademark owner (or contact person listed on the trademark complaint) can provide Google with authorization to let specific AdWords accounts use the trademark in ad campaigns. Here are some important things to know about authorizations:

Who needs authorization

Any AdWords advertiser wanting to use a trademark after a complaint was filed must be authorized, including the trademark owner themselves, official affiliates and partners, regional branches, franchisees, and subsidiaries. Trademark owners can authorize advertisers (including themselves if they have an AdWords account) in their complaint form or in a separate authorization form.

Authorization is given to individual AdWords accounts, so the trademark owner must submit the customer ID of each AdWords account they want to authorize. Any master (MCC) account numbers will automatically have authorization extended to all current and future child accounts.

The process

For advertisers: To request that an account be authorized, please contact the trademark owner directly and ask that they fill out the form mentioned below. Google cannot arrange the authorization for you.

For trademark owners: Use this authorization form to request authorization for an AdWords account.

• Only the official trademark owner or the contact person listed on the trademark complaint can authorize the use of their trademark. We are not able to accept requests from regional branches or subsidiaries of the trademark owner, unless previously designated by the trademark owner.
      • We can either prohibit all use or allow all use of a particular term by an advertiser. Therefore, we cannot accept conditional authorization requests that include a time expiration or limitations on use of the term in specific contexts.
      • The trademark owner may change or rescind authorization at any time.

• An ad can use a trademarked term in its text if either of these conditions is true:
    • the ad text uses the term descriptively in its ordinary meaning rather than in reference to the trademark
    • the ad is not in reference to the goods or services corresponding to the trademarked term