AdWords
6.3K members online now
6.3K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Campaign cancelled for not being viewable in all countries

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am the webmaster for a business that creates and manages websites for small mom-and-pop businesses in the United States. Most are in small towns with a customer reach of 10-20 miles. A few businesses pay for Google AdWords for their sites, targeting their home state or region -- not advertising nationally, let alone internationally.

Because our private server is only used to host websites for local mom-and-pop businesses, and because we have had instances of our clients using poor security practices and allowing their sites to be hacked and defaced, we have implemented a firewall that blocks most foreign connections, primarily from China, India, Russia, Indonesia, and Malaysia, as those five countries have been the source of over 95% of our malicious activity and DDOS attacks in the past.  We have had no issues with this policy during the time we have had it, which is now about four years.

However, one of our clients, located in a small city in the Midwestern United States and having a total client reach of only about 15 miles from their business, has stated that Google has cancelled their AdWords campaign for a policy violation, namely that their website is not available in foreign countries. They have verified that they only target the United States, and do not market any products overseas. However, when they called Google AdWords support for assistance, a representative in India assured them that the problem was that their website is not available in India and that is a policy violation.

I cannot find this published anywhere. If it is a policy violation, shouldn't Google have clearly posted this? Our client does not use landing pages; their ads go straight to their home page. They said the support rep on the phone acknowledged that it was not published anywhere and said "It is a new policy". However, the support rep insisted that their account would remain suspended until he could verify that the website was reachable in India.

Two questions.

1. Is this a real Google policy and if so, where is it published?
  2. Does our client have any recourse if this Google rep in India will not relent, such as escalating the issue to that person's supervisor?
3 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Joel N
September 2015

Re: Campaign cancelled for not being viewable in all countries

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Joel,

It is Google's requirement that your website should be accessible from any location, though you aren't targeting any of those locations. Learn more here under 'site not working'. However, your concerns about security and potential attacks are very valid. I wouldn't suggest blocking countries or a range of IPs, as there are tools to dynamically change IPs which would bypass the firewall. Instead, you can try server security tools available in the market (some research is required though) to maintain your website safety and make it available to all locations. That way, you wouldn't be violating the policy and still have a safe website.

Hope that helps!

Good luck,
Sumanth

Sumanth Sridhar

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Please share the website URL- so we can have a look that there is no other violation.
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Community Manager
# 4
Community Manager

Hi Joel,

Yes, this is a policy that Google AdWords has in place. As you can see in the Help Center, "Your landing page must work properly for all locations, regardless of where you're targeting your ad".

If you'd like to resubmit your site for review please do so at this link when you have corrected this. However, I cannot guarantee that there are any other policy violations as I have not seen your site.

Kathleen

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello Kathleen:
We are having the same problem. The solution stated above regarding security tools is unacceptable. Note the many major companies and gov. agencies around the US that have been breached. Heck, many of these folks have their own IT team. Our hosting company is our IT team and the GoDaddys of the world spend a whole lot of time fixing breaches too.

Because of this policy our hosting company and many others as well as our own company is or will soon be losing many customers. Our company alone will lose thousands of dollars and as a small business, that will bite into our bottom line.

Our hosting company is doing the right thing, protecting our web sites. Most of our clients do not need to market past the regional area, some across the country. But that should be up to our clients as well as the hosting company, not a policy that has nothing to do with our businesss.

Clients can opt to block countries in their adwords account but by then, it is too late. The server will have been breached.

We have put in a request for the Policy to be changed. I would also like to point out that the Adword clients are your customers. They pay for this service. If our client were to want to put a billboard up along the highway, do you think the billboard company would require they put billboards up across the whole territory of the billboard company? How about an ad in newspaper. Would they now have to advertise in every publication owned by the publisher?

Please change this policy immediately. Please inform the people who made this policy it is unfair. IT will hurt our business and many others who are doing the right thing for their clients.

Thank you
Channing

Campaign cancelled for not being viewable in all countries

J S
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
J S
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Kathleen and others at Google:
I would like to add my two cents to this issue. I have the same situation as Joel. Except in my case, the website is for a US based manufacturer of high-end custom home products. We ONLY sell to US based customers. Our AdWords campaigns are ONLY targeted to US searches.

Our website is NOT accessible to overseas because:
1. We want to reduce the risk that our products will be copied and "knocked-off" by overseas companies that do not respect US copyright and trademark laws.
2. We only sell our products to US based customers.
3. We want to reduce the risk of our site being infected or tampered with by malicious overseas hackers.

Why would AdWords need our site exposed to the world if our AdWords settings limit the ads exposure to only the US?

Please make some sense of this. It is absurd that we would have to open our site up to the world and raise our risk profile (both for security AND for intellectual property infringement) just so ads can run in the US. It does not take a rocket scientist to figure out this is a bad policy that should be changed a.s.a.p.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

This thread has been closed to new replies.

If you have a new or unanswered question related to this topic, please start a new thread and post a clear, specific and detailed question that describes your particular situation.

To start a new thread, please go to the top level of the Community, and from there, click on the board that is most closely related to your question. After that, you can click on the pink "+" sign in the lower right corner of the screen to start a new topic.

Thank you.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’