AdWords
6K members online now
6K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Call Only Ads Disapproved

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have set up a Call Only Search campaign and my ads were disapproved because the phone numbers could not be verified.  I did some digging around and realized there was a way to verify the phone numbers by verifying ownership of the website instead.  So, I linked my Search Console and Adwords accounts, as it was pointed out in the support pages.  Now I'm dealing with a support team that is outsourced in another country, and this particular employee stated that the option to verify via Search Console is only available "in the event that no phone number appears on the landing page."  Has anyone else ran into this?  I can't find anywhere in the support pages or UI where it states this.  In every instance I've seen this process, it states that both options of verifying numbers are available, without caveat.  I've ran into instances before where one approval team understands a particular rule one way and another approval team understands the same rule differently so I wanted to see if there was some mistake here.  Additionally, if this rule does exist, then it is essentially says that anyone using Call Only campaigns/ads cannot be using call tracking.  That seems a bit off to me.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Call Only Ads Disapproved

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi there;
I think there is a misunderstanding here;
To my knowledge, regardless of the domain ownership, you must ALSO have your business number shown in the website text.
https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/6310626#verify
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi,
Thanks for responding. This is actually the same page that I have been using as a resource. In particular, the section about Phone Number Verification > Call-only ads. It states that I can "Use either of these two methods to verify the phone number in your ad:
1. Provide a verification URL--Show us that your phone number appears on the website you're promoting.
2. Or prove you own the domain--You can also verify your phone number by proving ownership of your ad's display URL domain using any one of the methods below."
It goes on to describe the Linking of Adwords and Google Search console as a way of proving you own the domain. It states nothing about needing the same numbers to show up on the site for this second option.

I went ahead and reached out to a second Adwords support team, and they seemed to take my view of this and told me to resubmit and that they would likely be re-approved now, so I'm hoping for the best.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
This is interesting.... Please update us once support gets back to you with an answer.
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
March 2016

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
They are all approved now! I actually ended up contacting a different support team and showing them the specific help page that described the Search Console link verification method, and they agreed that it should be approved. My guess would be that this is just related to how new these types of ads are and there still being a bit of gray area around how they are approved.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Interesting..... Thanks for the update!

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

@MosheTLV You are absolutely right! This thing is clearly mentioned here.