AdWords
3.3K members online now
3.3K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Business name on WAP Ads

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

As an affiliate publiser, I place Ads for many different companies.

When wiritng the WAP Ad in AdWords (for each ad group), there is a place for Headline, for Description, for "business name" and business phone number.

If I have consent from the company I am advertizing for, does Google allow me to write the real business name in the ad?

So if I promote "Del'l offers and they give me permision, will Google see it as violation of terms and consdtions if I write "Dell" in the Ad?

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Catmando
September 2015

Re: Business name on WAP Ads

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Catmando,

Yeah, positive. In case you have authorization from a trademark owner you can use their brand name. Just that authorization should be implemented via the online form linked-to below.

*** 3rd Party Authorization Request

https://services.google.com/inquiry/aw_tmauth

Additional info is available here:

*** AdWords Trademark Policy

http://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=6118

Best,

Lakatos

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you for this helpful information Lakatos,

1. Does this mean I have to go this process with every company I advertise for? Even if the phone number in the Ad sends the caller straight to the companies' call center (the one owning the trademark)?  So I advertise for Dell and the number on the Ad sends the caller to Dell's caller sales department.

2. If the advertiser allowes me to use its name which is not a trademark, will google still impose probelms when reviewing my ad?

Kind Regards,

Catmando

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

It varies with countries. I assume you are in the US. The issue only arises if you use the company name in the text of your ad copy. (Phone numbers are irrelevant in this respect.) You are exempt in case you use a trademark in the ad text but the ad is in compliance with Google's policy on resellers and informational sites. 

For more, refer to 

*** Section: Trademark terms used in ad text

http://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=6118

1. If the brand name owner has not asked Google for a ban there will be no issue. Just check on it by means of *try and err*. Just put the company name in the ad copy and if it is rejected due to brand name, ask the owner for authorization.

2. I think that *you* are the advertiser, aren't you? If the company has previously asked Google for a ban on a term they may want to authorize you via the online form. If they have not, no action is required.

Best,

Lakatos

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you Lakatos,

Your input on my questions is really of high quality. This is much appreciated!

One last question please (even though I am repeating myself and realistically you answered my question already in your first post).

You wrote "....Just check on it by means of *try and err*. Just put the company name in the ad copy and if it is rejected....".

Can I take it that Google does not ban my account (for possible violation of their terms) if I try to place the company name in the ad and wait for their approval? I am OK with ad rejection and with chasing up TM authorizations forms or any other permission required. I am not OK if Google shuts me down for trying this. Hence I want to understand all rules avoiding any Adwords beginners mistake that may harm my account.

Many thanks again for your help and good answers!

Catmando

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

>> Can I take it that Google does not ban my account (for possible violation of their terms) if I try to place the company name in the ad and wait for their approval? <<

It will not be an issue. I have done it myself dozens of times. Disapproval due to trademarks is an automated process.

There are zillions of trademarked names in a really huge number of jurisdictions. No one is expected by Google to be familiar with all of them. However, do not try to force it thru again once a term was rejected. Typically when the ad is disapproved an email will soon be sent to you specifying the reason. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Many thanks Smiley Happy