AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.3K members online now
4.3K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Buffer App vs Hootsuite trademark use in Ad OK?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

If you search for bufferapp in google there is a paid ad by hootsuite with the headline 'Buffer App vs Hootsuite' and the following landing page: http://signup.hootsuite.com/top-5-reasons-hootsuite-vs-buffer/

I run the paid search for a health insurance comparison website where there are a lot of high value searches from people going to the insurance provider direct for a quote. I would like to create ads sending traffic to a landing page reviewing the supplier on a number of features. I'd like to use the ad text "[Supplier's brand name] Review". The landing page would outline the strengths and benefits of the insurer and then have a call to action suggesting to the customer to compare quotes before making a purchase decision.

Now, in Google's page on trademarks it mentions that the following use of trademarks is OK:

https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/6118?hl=en-GB

Informational sites:
The primary purpose of the ad's landing page is to provide informative details about goods or services corresponding to the trademark term.
The product or services must be the primary focus of the ad's landing page.

What do you guys think? Is this technically OK? If it gets approved and the supplier finds it, is there any chance of our account getting disapproved?

Cheers

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Buffer App vs Hootsuite trademark use in Ad OK?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Mitchell K 
This applies only to certain territories and not globally;

What country are you targeting?

The other point to consider is the business model: Once you list the "pros and cons"  for each insurer, how are you going to earn  money? 

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
There are 3 countries, UK, US and Australia.

The industry is not actually health insurance, I don't want to give away the real industry we're in on here.

However, needless to say, there is significant value in showing up for these supplier brand terms.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

OK, then;
Keep in mind, that though Google allows that - the trademark owner himself could take legal actions within the territory targeted to prohibit the use of his  brand-name without authorization;

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
But as in the case of HootSuite above, is there really anything BufferApp can do? HootSuite isn't pretending to be BufferApp, they're just saying they're better than them for X reasons.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

The example you linked is  a landing page while the Policy covers the ad-text.