AdWords
5.9K members online now
5.9K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Bidding on trademarked terms?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I want to bid on a few major popular show search terms.

So for Instance:

CBS has the show Undercover boss. My plan would not be to bid on "CBC under cover boss" but can i still bid on "undercover boss"?

I dont see how they could prevent me from doing this as its two popular search phrases.

Another example:

"Dancing with the stars"  can i bid on this if i have a website that is relevant to the same business?

Thank you, please only respond if informed and 100% sure, definitely dont want to get my account banned.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Curiouss
September 2015

Re: Bidding on trademarked terms?

Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner

Indeed, trademarked terms can be used as keyword and can be shown in the display URL. You cannot use trademarked terms in the ad title or in the ad text. (unless of course you have approval from the trademark owner)

This is only enforced if the trademark owner filed a complaint and requested google to restrict the trademarked terms.  It would be a good idea to have a look at the trademark policy as there are a few differences between countries / regions. (https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/6118)

View solution in original post

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
You can add as keyword and bid on any trademarked term.
But you can't use then in your ad text.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Curiouss
September 2015

Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner

Indeed, trademarked terms can be used as keyword and can be shown in the display URL. You cannot use trademarked terms in the ad title or in the ad text. (unless of course you have approval from the trademark owner)

This is only enforced if the trademark owner filed a complaint and requested google to restrict the trademarked terms.  It would be a good idea to have a look at the trademark policy as there are a few differences between countries / regions. (https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/6118)

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

One clarification to Ken's answer;

Google will NOT show any registered trademark, regardless if the owner requested  or not; Google will allow to show trademark in the ad-text, if the trademark owner authorized the advertiser to do so, as explained in the link Ken provided.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Are you sure that this action of using trademark keywords will be enough profitable for your campaigns in order to pay a lawyer later on ? 

I see the main risk as not originating from Google themselves but from the owners of the trademark who can sue you or the company for which this campaign is . Please read the following , it shows even how small is the amount of clicks in each of the trials :

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ericgoldman/2012/11/08/another-google-adwords-advertiser-defeats-tradema...