AdWords
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Automatically Submitted Adwords Campaign

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I cannot understand the process of having an Adwords Express Account which in effect was very good but I was advised to look at Adwords.

So I login to adwords using the same gmail account and try my hardest to create some sort of campaign but it was way to hard so I saved my work and though that I would come but to it later.

To my astonishment the if you save your work it will get automatically submitted for review and then the campaign goes active. In the mean time I decided to get someone to manage my Adword campaign, Horizon PPC and not thinking any further.

The campaign that I had started to make went active and google use the same billing details frrom my Google Adwords Express Account Automatically billing may account. I was being Billed for Adwords Express and Adwords even thou I had not started the campaign. Once you prees save and continual the process starts .. over the passed six month in which four of those months both my Adwords and Adwords Express were being billed but you will only see one amount on your statement

It was only after I cancelled my Adwords Express that I noticed more adword bill and yet Horizon PPC are managing my adwords. 

I have since found out that the Adword Campaign that I started to create once saved will run automatically and use your billing information from your Adwords Account even thou they are different web sites.

I had no idea that Google Adwords had my billing info as I never entered it and I also had no idea that the campaign was running but google have happily charged my account over $1000 in a six month period 4 moths of that was in my Adwords Express Campaign.

The first month after cancelling my Adwords Express Campaign I got billed and just thought that it was the end of that billing cycled.

My wife did not know that It was not supposed to come out of the account anymore so I missed the following month but just notice another $296 come out of the account so I checked on the Adword Express Account and it was inactive with Zero Clicks and no dollars and it was not until I rang the 1800 number that I found out about the Adword campaign that I tried to set up back in March that it actually went thru.

I paid Horizon PPC over 4K for a six month campaign and did not need the Adword Campaign and all in all I feel completely ripped off as i did not start any campaign in Adwords .. I simply started to try to make a campaign and after hours and hours of work clicked save as you would, but as soon as you click save it will automatically send it for review and start the campaign... It just use my credit card that I used in my Adwords Express Account.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Automatically Submitted Adwords Campaign

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Pat I,

EDITED: Original Post was edited and my answer was no longer relevant. 

- James 

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

It is what it is ... But I never started the campaign .
I created a campaign but I never started it .. I have been told but google that if I save the campaign it gets automatically submitted for review and then starts.
Then uses your billing info from your Adword Express Account. None of which I authorised them to do.

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Hi Pat,

When you build your first campaign in a brand new AdWords account (with no existing AdWords Express), the final step is to enter your Billing Information. This would indicate to most people that they will be charged.

If the process you went through didn't ask for billing info, and didn't mention that they would use your AdWords Express billing info, then I agree with you - it should have been made more clear.

If in all the time it was running you did not make any changes in your AdWords account, or log in to check on things, I feel you have a case. Contact Google directly and ask if a refund can be made.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi @Pat I,

I am sorry for your unhappiness with the way things went. I see that you edited your first post and added a lot of info and clearly shows your frustration. 

Just to help provide some info for the future, when you have a AdWords Express account, it does link to AdWords and states that clearly, so someone should have known this somewhere along the line. AdWords is a full feature product, whereas AdWords Express is much more limited. As you now know, if you create a campaign in AdWords and do not pause it, it is completely active. It is best practices to pause a newly created campaign until ready for it to live. 

If you feel AdWords did something they should not have, you could contact Support here and see if something can be done. 

If you feel a AdWords agency did not handle your account properly, you can report their actions here.

If you decide to use AdWords in the future, please use the Google Partners search to locate a skilled agency. I am one and I have to follow best practices, manage client spend properly, and be transparent in what is happening at all times... and can be reported on by a client that is unhappy with my actions. I would never allow such actions to take place with my clients, nor would any professional, badged Google Partners that I know of. 

Again, I know you are frustrated. There is nothing I can do but to respond with a sincere response.  

Kind Regards,

James

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I did not login to my account as I did not even know that it was running . The billing info on my bank statement just says Google Adword and is not differentiated between Adwords and Adwords Express .

I simply had no idea that Adwords had any of my billing info or that any campaign was running as it was simply way to hard to understand. But google seem to have thought that it was good enough to run the ad...
I have contacted Google directly and they basically said its your account with your email and you created the campaign in which I am not denying . But I never started the campaign and had no idea that they had access to my Adwords Express Billing Details.
Two different web sites to login into I would have thought they would have asked for my billing details or at the very least confirmed that I wanted to use my existing Credit Card details.

I was basically told that it is in the terms and conditions.

So bad luck for me .

I filled in a complaint for on the web site but I feel it will fall on deaf ears and make no difference, only time will tell

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Generally speaking ...to PAUSE something one would assume you would first have to START it... As I have stated I had no idea that it STARTED Automatically and that you would have to PAUSE it.

As you also stated use a Google Partner in which I have done with Horizon PPC.
They are not going thru my Adwords Account and don't know my gmail address or password

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi @Pat I,

Again, I understand your frustration and wish I could do more than state what I have. 

In summary, when something is created, it is started... in the most basic sense, and in the absolute case with AdWords. Further, when looking at a campaign in AdWords, there is a green dot with a dropdown menu... green means go. It's just the way AdWords works. You created Frankenstein by accident, but created you did. 

I would suggest using my previous reply and putting all of those links to use... I think you will gain the results you know you should have/get. 

Kind Regards,

James

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I seriously doubt that you could understand my frustration as it has hardly been your back pocket that has been affected and it is probably the most frustrating phrase use by call centres.

See you are assuming that I would know that the campaign gets AUTOMATICALLY Submitted for Review and then Starts. I simply wanted to save the work that I had done not start the campaign as it was far from a finished project but never the less good enough for Google to approve and Start ... In the mean time I had contacted a Google partner to run a campaign for me and never went back into the Adwords Login I only went back to my Adwords Express Page to make that Ad Inactive.

I feel that it was extremely sneaky way of running the ad without my knowledge and even worst was the fact that google knew both accounts were running simultaneous and did nothing to advise me about it.

Anyway they got my money once and they ripped me off once but it wont happen again ... Nothing will be spent on Google product including Google Movies Music Adword Nexus Product .. No more from me , and I was seriously considering buying the new Nexus Phone but will stick another brand.

Disappointed , Angry ,Pissed Off,, Annoyed

No more monthly Subscriptions of any type and I know this will make zero difference to Google but thats all I can do is to give them no more of my money and advise as many people as possible about what happen to my Adwords Campaign and how it is a very sly and sneaky way or running campaigns and Linking Accounts