AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.5K members online now
1.5K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Automated punctuation checker wrongly blocks ad content

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

Text ad with text ".NET components for Visual Basic." is blocked by punctuation checker (dot in the beginning and in the end). This is wrong, because .NET is a shortname of .NET Framework (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.NET_Framework). Please, correct.

Sincerely yours,
Oleg Savitsky

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Automated punctuation checker wrongly blocks ad content

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello there;

A quick search on the US Patent and Trade-name Office resulted with hundreds of .Net trade-name owners

You'll need to apply for authorization;

Check this link on authorization of a trade-name for Adwords;

https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/6118?hl=en#

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

The problem is not in the trademark (".NET" is the name of software platform) but in the parser not allowing dots in the beginning and the end of the phrase, which is again incorrect. Putting the trademark question aside, a phrase ".NET Framework is offered for your use." won't be accepted because of dots, however, this is a valid english sentence.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

I do not think so; I see many .NET ads with .NET at the beginning of the headline.

Check yourself...

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

It's the dot at the beginning + dot at the end (TWO of them) that make the parser complain. Just starting the sentence with the dot is not a problem. Having the sentence with a dot at the beginning AND a dot at the end is, though.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Two options then;

• Call Google CS and ask to approve the ad; (If they agree in this specific case)
  • Change the ad copy;

You can't change the algorithm / bot  Smiley Happy

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

You can't change the algorithm / bot

I don't see why not, neither I see what's so funny in bot's bugs.