AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.4K members online now
4.4K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

At Risk of Double-Serving?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello. My company hired an outside person do run our Adwords campaign several months ago. He created the campaign under HIS account, using HIS credit card, and has allowed my company no access whatsoever to the account, reports, anything. The owner of the company has finally wised up and hired an in-house person to run all Internet marketing activities, which means the other Adwords guy was told we don't need him anymore. He's still "supposed" to be running the campaign until the end of the month, but ads have already stopped appearing. This guy has been a total a** and isn't even communicating with us anymore, so we don't know what's going on (or NOT going on). Everyday without ads means leads we're not getting, so we want to initiate our own campaign, from OUR account, right away but we don't want to get in trouble for double-serving. Is that a possibility given the above? And if so, how can we go about this to make sure we don't get in trouble with Google?  Thanks in advance.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: At Risk of Double-Serving?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

If you are both running ads and directing to the same webpage, you are at risk of double serving.   However, double serving is a retroactive policy meaning someone would have to report you, before Google would investigate it

My best advice would be to reach out to Google (here- http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/request.py?&contact_type=approvals) and see if there is anything more they can do! 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the reply.  Appreciate it very much.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi,

I'd like to point out a couple of things here if I could.

This third party seems to be suspicious.  Here are a few things you may find interesting:  Advertiser Guide: working with a third-party partner & Google Third-Party Policy (this one contains a way to file a complaint).  It is imperative to have some level of transparency and/or reporting otherwise you'll have no real idea where your funds are going and the 3rd party is not keeping up their side of the deal.  That's no good at all.

Technically, if you as a company are not running/owning multiple accounts for the same product/website, it's probably not Double Serving.  Google actually proactively seeks these situations out now.  If you take a look at this community, you'll find many instances of people being caught after account reviews and suspended for this claiming they "didn't realize they could have multiple accounts".  You mentioned that 3rd party used his account and his billing information.  You have requested that he stop running the ads as you want to do so and manage the account yourself.  I can't see the problem here as long as you've never previously had an AdWords account associated with the company, attached to billing information for the company or promoting your website etc...

Ultimately, it's as easy as contacting AdWords support - now seeing as you probably don't have a customer id, you may want to try the phone numbers on the main AdWords page.  I think they usually say something like "need help setting up your account".   You can explain exactly what is happening and they will be able to tell you exactly what your status is moving forward. 

It's very smart of you to check on this first but IMO, I think you're going to be fine.  There are many advertisers out there that promote the same website and are not tagged for Double Serving as it's not a violation of the policy.  The policy is in place to keep single advertisers from running multiple accounts promoting the same product/website. You aren't technically doing this. 

Hope this helps!

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you, Sir!  Appreciate you taking the time.