AdWords
5.2K members online now
5.2K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Asked to fix sites I don't own, due to deleted ads

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

A few years ago, I ran some ads, for about 3 days, to a site that wasnt my own. They were quickly paused, and the campaigns deleted I'd say 1-2 years ago. All was well and happy.

Now my account got suspended, and Google wrote me this, which I find to be mind-boggling. Can this really be right, and why would they do this after I deleted the ads??

<Emphasis by me>

--------------

I know this must be frustrating but as per our policy if you have advertised a certain site in your account and it violates our policy you will have to fix the same. Deleting them will not help

Even if you have deleted a campaign you can still view all the deleted campaigns and the ads. You will have to work on the two sites that I had mentioned. I understand you do not own one of the site. You may want to contact the owner of the site to fix the issue.

If you have deleted all the ads that were violating our policies and which had been disapproved then that is excellent.

Please fix the two site and get back to me so that I can further work on this, else, I am really sorry I will not be able to help.

--------------
2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Asked to fix sites I don't own, due to deleted ads

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hello.

Unfortunately, you, as the advertiser, are responsible for *(i) Creative, (ii) Ad trafficking or targeting decisions (e.g., keywords) (“Targets”), (iii) Properties to which Creative directs viewers (e.g., landing pages) along with the related URLs and redirects (“Destinations”) and (iv) services and products advertised on Destinations (collectively, “Services”). * (https://adwords.google.com/select/tsandcsfinder)

The fact that the website you advertised is not your own does not exonerate you, as it was your decision to direct traffic to that website.

Of course, it's very difficult (sometimes downright impossible, especially in the case of affiliate advertisers) to fix a website you do not own / control.

This is why I refrain (and advise others to do the same) from advertising websites beyond my control.

Sorry, but I don't think you can solve this issue unless you manage to bring that website into compliance.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
But I'm not advertising to that website anymore? I haven't for a year or more, and it was a 3 day test.... So a deleted campaign with deleted ads, 1+ year old suddenly pops up and blocks my account?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Also, at the time, the site was OK. I can see it has since been sold. So it's very easy to direct ads to sites, even your own, then sell them, stop the ads, and a few years later someone else can get your account cancelled? That doesn't make any sense.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Btw, this also mean that you should NEVER let a domain you own expire, since someone else can buy it later, and maybe get my account flagged. What you're proposing means that once you run even ONE ad to a domain, you can NEVER SELL or let the domain expire, because you are responsible FOREVER when someone else buys it. Do you realize that domains can expire? It's absolutely unrealistic to require something like this. Please escalate this up the chain and get an expert to evaluate this, as you need to tell all your adwords partners immediately that they can be suspended for letting their domains expire, at any time, years later... that's the conclusion of what you're telling me. Even if they delete ads to that site... So if you insist of maintaining this policy, you need to warn all your advertisers that they must renew their domains forever.

Is this conclusion not correct?

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

No. The violation is attributed to the account that advertised the domain at the time of the violation.

If you advertise  a domain, sell it, and the new owner violates the Policy - the violation is attributed the new owner. However, if you"re-buy" the domain, you will not be able to advertise it until it is fixed.

So you are correct: it is recommended to research about  at the history of a domain before buying it.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
So, I'm not sure about the time, but it was over a year ago:

1. I ran ads to a site not my own, for maybe three days.
2. I stopped and paused them
3. Shortly after I deleted the campaigns and the ads.
so I never owned the domain.
4. After that all was fine until last week.
5. My account get's suspended due to these apparently these old DELETED ads, to a site I ran ads for a few days.

So I don't own the domain. I don't run ads on it. I haven't run ads on it for a year++.

What do you suggest I do here?

ALso, the conclusion is if you ever own a domain X, and for some reason sell it or let it expire. At ANY time, the new owner can get your adwords account blocked. So if I were to go out and buy a domain that IBM used to own, I could run something bad, and get all of IBM's ads blocked, because they USED to own it.

Does that make ANY sense to anyone?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
I'm OK with the policy. I think you fail to realized I have not had ANY active ads for over a year (possibly two) pointing to the domain in question. I have no paused campaigns pointed there. It's all deleted... over a year ago... So yes I love the policy for CURRENT ads, makes total sense. It does NOT make sense to include all domains from the past, that I'm no longer driving traffic too.

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

You have to fix the domain  in violation. Deleting the ads /  campaign / or abandoning the domain will not resolve the issue

The content on the landing page has to be fixed - no matter how much time has elapsed. This is a firm Policy by Google. You are responsible for the content of the landing page.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thanks MosheLTV. I don't own the domain, I can't possibly tell someone else how to fix it, and I haven't run ads towards it for over a year. As I pointed out, this policy opens up for serious abuse, like if I bought a domain that YOU previously owned, I can get YOUR adwords account shut down. That does not sound reasonable.

I'm not arguing what Google policy is, I'm pointing out it's severely flawed, and open to some pretty serious abuse for bad people.