AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4K members online now
4K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Ascii text as an AdWords ad?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there! 

I found from internet an old AdWords ad, what was in ascii text. That post was old, like 4-5 years. So I was wondering if you are still able to make these kind of ads in AdWords or are they forbidded now? 

I attaced an image also -->   ascii text ad image

Cheers, 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Ascii text as an AdWords ad?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi hallop, very interesting!  I'd imagine they'd now be disapproved for excessive use of punctuation, though I'm not entirely sure. Shame in a way as I quite like it!

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the reply! 

I was thinking the same, that now there is a limit for use of punctuation.. I wonder if there wasnt a limit for usage of punctuation that time, ~ 4 years ago? 

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

I wasn't sure what you meant by ascii text until I saw the image. Back in the old DOS days (yes, I'm that old) we used to do this sort of thing all the time.

As far as I know, there was never any rule about this specifically. However, I'm sure it really never was allowed since it can fall under the excessive punctuation rule. That rule has been around for a long time, longer than 4 years. But the system is smarter these days and surely would flag it before it has a chance to run.

Not that I would use this sort of thing. I will attract eyes to it but I don't believe it will be effective.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi!

I tested this style two years ago in Ukraine Smiley Happy

Then you couldn't use two equal symbols in a row. That's why I choose rabbit. But I turned it off, because conversion rate was very low.

Sergey