AdWords
6.2K members online now
6.2K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Are telephone numbers allowed anywehre in the ad copy?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello there,

Is it possible to include a telephone number somewhere in the ad copy, descp. line 1 o 2? I have seen this in some ads, but cannot find info in the advertising policies whether this is something allowed.

Thanks very much for your help,

Inaki

1 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author inakiz
September 2015

Re: Are telephone numbers allowed anywehre in the ad copy?

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi inakiz, and welcome to the forum.

Actually while you can currently run telephone numbers in the Ad Copy, you can't in Enhanced Campaigns.  This means if you create a Campaign now (which will be Enhanced by default) or sometime from May this year onwards, any Ad containing a phone number will be disapproved.

You can, of course, still use Call Extensions to display your number with your Ad.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello

No you cant, this is a new change to the policy  effective April 2013, Google will begin to disapprove ads that were using phone numbers in their ad text before the March 2013 policy change.

but you can still use call extantion to display your phone number

you can read about it here:

Relevance, clarity, and accuracy

View solution in original post

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes, you can inlcude phone no inside ads either in title or description.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi inakiz, and welcome to the forum.

Actually while you can currently run telephone numbers in the Ad Copy, you can't in Enhanced Campaigns.  This means if you create a Campaign now (which will be Enhanced by default) or sometime from May this year onwards, any Ad containing a phone number will be disapproved.

You can, of course, still use Call Extensions to display your number with your Ad.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello

No you cant, this is a new change to the policy  effective April 2013, Google will begin to disapprove ads that were using phone numbers in their ad text before the March 2013 policy change.

but you can still use call extantion to display your phone number

you can read about it here:

Relevance, clarity, and accuracy

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I spoke to adwords representative twice, both of the agents guided me to setup call extension, but it never worked. They assured that it will start appearing in some time but majorly focused and requested for a good rating on their feedback email was to be filled and sent by me.

Then I sent an email stating that it did not work, and my competitors' ads were still displaying with telephone numbers (screenshot attached in that email). Somebody from adwords replied to the email and said that they would contact the advertisers and ask them to remove the ads. It has been more than three months but still their ads are displayed with numbers.

No matter the customer's issue is resolved or not, but the agents need a good Csat rating.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey there,

Just wanted to jump in because I'm also a bit confused about this.

In this page:

• Apr 16, 2013

https://support.google.com/adwords/certification/answer/176098?hl=en&ref_topic=2799739

"Phone numbers

• Phone numbers and vanity phone numbers can't be used anywhere in ad text or in asitelinks extension, except for company names that are actual phone numbers (such as "1800-EXAMPLE"). Phone numbers in ads are confusing to users who might be expecting to be led to a call session as opposed to a website. To let customers call you directly from your ad, use call extensions instead."

And although that's pretty clear, in this page:

• May 24, 2013

https://support.google.com/adwords/certification/answer/2404182?hl=en&ref_topic=2795905

"Example

Steve wants to create ads for his chain of camera stores in California. He writes the following ad:

(...)

Cameras in California
High-quality cameras, film, lenses.
Call 1-800-STEVE to order!
www.example.com/California"

Where in the second example there is a clear CTA to make a phone call, from the Ad description.

The second page was edited more recently.

Any comments?