AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Are redirects from Destination URL allowed in Adwords?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am moving my website from example.com/catalog to example.com. I am also installing a SEO URLs add on to my site to make the urls, "SEO friendly"

So, over to my Adwords campaign, which is over 8 years old. Hence the caution in breaking anything.

My ad is

Buy Matrox Graphics Card

The Best Graphics Card in the UK

Buy Now, only £19.99

www.example.com/Matrox (Display URL)

example.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1 (Destination URL)

It used to go to

example.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1

the new url will be

http://example.com/matrox-g200-p-1.html

The redirect is handled by my htaccess file.

Can I leave my ads as they are as the display url is still correct?

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
December 2015

Re: Are redirects from Destination URL allowed in Adwords?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Edward,

Yes AdWords allows SEO friendly redirection 301 or 302, There is no such problems, You can continue with the existing ads copy.

But make sure that after redirection, your URL does not loss cookies, otherwise, Google analytics will attribute all SEM data into Referral traffic.
--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
December 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Edward,

Yes AdWords allows SEO friendly redirection 301 or 302, There is no such problems, You can continue with the existing ads copy.

But make sure that after redirection, your URL does not loss cookies, otherwise, Google analytics will attribute all SEM data into Referral traffic.
--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Edward,

Google will eventually upgrade you to Final URL, so you can either start the upgrade yourself or wait for Google to force it later. Please read about upgrading URLs here : https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6049217?hl=en

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @Edward R as you've already been told, there's no problem with the new URLs; as long as the user lands on the same domain as the Display URL, you're fine.

However, if I may, I'd ask you just to consider whether you should leave your Ads exactly as they are, if they're 8 years old, and the same goes for the rest of your Campaign(s) elements.  AdWords has changed a lot in the last 8 years and there are many new features that you could be exploring.  More importantly, there's no guarantee that Ads which worked well 8 years ago are still the most effective today.  Although it's not a good idea to make changes too often, it's also a bad idea to never change at all, or at least not to test changes from time to time.  It may well be (it probably is) that you're happy with the results you're seeing, but that doesn't mean those results couldn't be a lot better.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits