AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.4K members online now
4.4K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Are direct affiliate links allowed to run in AdWords?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have no intention of breaking any Google policy, and want to know if it's ok to run an affiliate link directly in AdWords?

There's a lot of talk about there and I can't seem to find a direct answer, so I wanted to check in here and see if I can get pointed in the right direction.

I'd be sure I'm not violating the affiliate program terms itself, either. I just had a great idea for a campaign that could do well and wondering if I have the opportunity to give it a try. I'm not a professional affiliate either. Just a guy with (what I think is a ) good idea. Smiley Happy

3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Nathan W R
January 2017

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

unforyunelty,  there is no list of previously suspended sites.... Only if you inquire yourself  about the online reputation of the affiliate....

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi there;

Promoting affiliate is legit as long as the landing page has added value to users, (and if not a direct link then  and the goal is not to serve as  a bridge page to the affiliate page.)

In general, I would not recommend to promote any landing page you have no control over. (Both  the domain and the  content). If the page / site found in violation, fixing it is not in your hands. And until fixed, the account will be reinstated.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Re: Are direct affiliate links allowed to run in AdWords?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you, MosheTLV!

That's good to hear, but you're right about confirming the LP since I have no control over it.  I wonder if there's a way to check with Support if a LP is in compliance or not before I try and set it live?  That'd be a great help if Google doesn't have it.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Nathan W R
January 2017

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

unforyunelty,  there is no list of previously suspended sites.... Only if you inquire yourself  about the online reputation of the affiliate....

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I figured.  I'll likely try to hit up support first before running it, then. 

Thank you so much!  Have a great day

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Nathan,

What you are proposing was once my bread and butter, and we had 10 full-time staff just doing that. Now there is nothing...

If you have a merchant that doesn't mind you doing it, and you only promote the one merchant, and there's never a policy problem with their site, you should be OK.

But beyond that, it is unlikely to work out for you. 

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

just a minor note to add that even if the affiliate is in compliance with all
policies today -- if they change their landing-page or website in the future,
such that they are no longer in compliance, then this risks never advertising
using google, with respect to any other site, business, product, or service.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you, Celebird.  I've read this, and it seems to be the biggest risk in this endeavor.