AdWords
1.6K members online now
1.6K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Are advertisers allowed to post their phone numbers in ads?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

It reduces clickthrough rate and is basically cheating. Many large companies do it including Comcast.

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Are advertisers allowed to post their phone numbers in ads?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi ItIsNotFair,

Adding your business phone number is a great way to encourage your customers to call your business.

You can do it different ways, as part of your ad text or as a call extension.

Find more information about call extensions here.

Adding a phone number or call extensions actually increases click through rates.

It is not cheating, but a great way to enhance your ads, as more and more people using their mobile devices for search.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi ItIsNotFair and welcome to the forum, I've gotta back up Info on this one.  Adding your phone number to your Ad(s) is not only allowed it's actually encouraged.

Did you think it wasn't permitted?

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Advertiesers are putting phone numbers in flash and image ads. I am extremely confident that it does not help increase click through rate as it is not utilizing Google's call extension program.

These are large companies doing this, cheating google and publishers out of millions.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

It's pretty obvious that this company is scamming publishers!

Comcast Ad Violation.jpg

Advertisers Scam Publishers by Putting Phone # in Image Ads

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Reducing clickthrough rates and earnings. Google impossible to reach.Comcast Ad Violation.jpg

Re: Advertisers Scam Publishers by Putting Phone # in Image Ads

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi ItIsNotFair, we've already discussed this in your other post on the matter.  Not only is it completely within the Policies to use phone numbers in all forms of Ads, it's actually something we would actively encourage.  You have labelled the image as a "violation" and it is nothing of the sort, it is completely within Adwords Policies.

It seems fairly clear that your grievance is that a reduction in the number of clicks may reduce the income for Adsense advertisers.  If this is the case - and I can't imagine why an Adwords user would complain about the practice - please note that income from Adsense is not a right, nor an agreed or guaranteed figure.  Many things have changed over the years with Adsense and most sensible publishers simply see these changes as opportunites, not faults or failures. 

Your posts here are adding nothing to this community, especially as you are not saying anything new to your original post, already answered.

Jon

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

ItIsNotFair, you don't appear to be reading my replies.  There is no scamming going on here, no cheating.  Using phone numbers in Ads is perfectly acceptable and simply repeating the same claim over and over again will not change that.

Please refer to my other reply on your other thread showing the same image and note that any further posts on this same topic will be moved into one.

Jon

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

There's more...

Many people will click on the ad - a lot of people prefer the anonymity of a web visit prior to making contact with a company - so you wouldn't lose all your income...

but think for a second more....

A company like Comcast - if they are using anyone with a modicum of analytics sense (and I'm sure they are) will be monitoring the clicks that do come in and possibly the placements that generated them. They may even do that for the phone calls - so, if your site generates better quality clicks for them they will place your site on their managed placements list and probably increase the budget allocation and the bids directed to your site.

So - you can decide to improve your site content to attract better quality, loyal traffic that Comcast will like, or you can worry about the couple of cents you might be losing because the ad have a phone number in it.

For me it's a no brainer....

But if you still feel stronly enough about this - simply remove the AdSense from your pages.

[ Edited ]
Zee Community Manager
Community Manager
# 10
Zee Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi ItIsNotFair,

I'd like you to read the Community Posting Guidelines and respect the Community and it's users who are trying to help you to resolve your issue. Also, keep the same dicussion in one thread. 

Thank you,

Zee
G+