AdWords
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Are Getclickedon from google accounts?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, I recenlty went in on a contract over the phone with getclickedon (fulcrum media) to get my url at the top of google under keywords. The salesman said he was calling from google accounts right at the start.. I have already got a google adword account and i didnt find it worked for me, at least not with my budget as i have no money, which I told the salesman on the phone.. Anyway, i missunderstood something somewhere and went through with it. Once it went through, I realised that they had given me 2 adword ads for £49 with vat which dissapeared after a click, so I cancelled the next day. At first the MD wanted a cancelation fee of over £235! and then said he would set me up with a google map listing for £20/month as a cheaper altrnative, which i know is actually free.. I didnt want it. He (Mark Graham, also known as Mark Grogan apparently) then gave me a heated phone call, called me an idiot and threatened me with debt collectors.. What should I do? I've seen a lot of people saying the same things online. even his staff so it must happen a lot

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Are Getclickedon from google accounts?

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner

Umm, you signed a contract with a scammer - Now you have a contract with a scammer.

So what's the cheapest way to get out of the contract you have signed?

Pay the $235 (or actually $500 something USD, huh), or keep paying the monthly fee for the duration of the contract?

Of course if you don't pay the contract you signed, then who knows how much the debt collectors will end coming after you for. Eventually they will get your money somehow, that's what the debt collectors do. It's all part of the scheme. 

Expensive lesson for a small business owner, but now you know not to sign contracts with cold call con men right?

Tom

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Yeah I do, I've heard it many times before and it's very unusual for me to do anything like this. I even used be in telesales, but wasn't allowed to give opinions or misslead or you'd get fired.. they could cancle when ever, free of charge.. obviously because they werent scumbags and had something people had the choice of keeping. 

There are a couple of things here though. As a business i dont have the right to cancel uless they offer a cooling off period. As a consumer by law i have the right, with no fee to pay. I'm not a business. not yet. im not registered. i'm a graphic designer, so i am offering my services but i've had hardly any work. im trying to build my portfolio so i can look more proffessional and hoping to make connections with people for a future business or just a fulltime job. I've done a bit of reading and if i was a business right now, I would be a sole trader and lawfully treated as a cunsumer in this situation I think.

Also, If it turns out they're not calling from google accounts, which i doubt they are, that could be classed as missleading me. Even if theyre leagally reselling google ads essentially, can they tell me they are from google accounts?

I think it works most the time because people are scared into paying up.. this guy was shouting at me down the phone. you dont do that unless your unproffessional and a con artist, pissed off because he's got me in his his dirty game and im not submitting. I dont have money or a job, so he told me to go on job seakers and pay with that! Very good ethics there 

Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner

Yeah this guy's a con artist and a scumbag... That sucks to be sure. Don't know if there's anything I or any of us can do about it though.

On the other hand, given the situation you are in there are some things you can do to try and build your protfolio. Keep building your website content. Blog about what you do and how you do it. Then share those posts on the google+, maybe follow some communities, fellow graphic artisits, GA companies, etc. Maybe you can build your persona/brand to the point that you can get some business? 

Seems like the lessons learned here go far beyond a contract with a con artist. Your rights (or lack thereof) as a consumer/individual vs. an incorporated company for example. Maybe adwords can be effective for you down the road as you incorporate and your small business grows, but there are some things you can do for yourself using the integration of google properties right now. If you don't currently have the resources for a B2B advertising contract, then you don't have to spend money you don't have to gain some awareness of your skills and abilities. There are always other options at this stage of your career/business development to help accomplish your business goals. Smiley Happy

Tom

Google Employee
# 5
Google Employee

Hi benjy,

Note: I am not a lawyer (or a barrister), and if I were one it would be in the US, not the UK.  So don't take this as legal advice and contact your own lawyer before doing anything drastic.

But personally, I'd refuse to pay.  His claim of affiliation with Google appears to have been a lie.  Using a lie to get someone to sign a contract is fraud, at least by a layman's definition.  (I have no idea what the legal definition is.)

Hmm.  I wonder if your local police or prosecutor would be interested in investigating this type of fraud.  Did I say "fraud"?  I wonder how quickly he'd stop harrassing you if you started dropping the word "fraud" into the conversation each time he calls you.

Laura, just thinking out loud