AdWords
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Approved (limited) because Trademarks in ad text - but it says the word "amu" is the problem

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We use the word "amu" which stands for "Atomic Mass Unit". And google says "amu" is trademarked so our ad wont show. This is just like saying "mpg" is trademarked so now your ad can tell people how many miles per gallon their car is... what if "mph" was trademarked? Then somone couldn't tell people how many Miles per Hour something can go.

I've checked other threads. It seems that I have two choices. One is to read a ton of pages of generic explanation like here:

https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/2562645

Or to call google directly. Which I might do.

Anyone here have a better solution?

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Matt B
March

Approved (limited) because Trademarks in ad text - but it says the word "amu" is the problem

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Matt B,

If the trademark owner's use of the word amu is not associated with nuclear science, I'd likely submit an exception request. 

***   Submit exception requests   ***

https://support.google.com/adwords/editor/answer/30578?hl=en

Trademark related Approved (limited) status often means nothing more than geographical limitations. In December I launched a new campaign targeting the US and the UK, and when the same status appeared it turned out the limitation rooted in some Russian stipulation and applied only to the Russian Federation. What I mean is that I am not sure the ad status poses an issue for you.

Best,

Lakatos

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you. I found the exception request last night and issued one. I couldn't find this post to update and share so thanks. For noting the geo issues is big. We have our campaigns split into countries, and those ads with AMU not in the US mostly were running. But US is our biggest market so you can imagine.

With other things popping up as TM issues on our account, and since Google requires a company to issue a complaint against a single advertiser, it seems that our competition is trying to sabotage. I hope that Google catches on and stops them from targeting us.

Thanks for posting.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

It's now been three days and no news from google, not even a confirmation email. I just filled out the form again. I'll update as time goes on.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Factor in pls that weekend days (18-19 March) are off at Google AdWords ...  Smiley Happy