AdWords
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Applying to promote free software

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
The policy on free software requires an advertiser to submit a request to get the software approved

My question is: what is the correct sequence, for a new site, never before advertised?

A) upload the campaign and ads (which will probably get suspended), then authorization request?

Or

B). Submit authorization request, wait for it to get approved, then launch the campaign and ads?

Reading the policy it seems like revuewers might want to see the ads to approve the authorization request

Thanks
In advance!
1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Applying to promote free software

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

@Bratok;

I think any advertiser would prefer  to communicate with Google and sort the paperwork before being suspended, and not after.... Smiley Surprised

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Those were my thoughts,too, but the wording of the policy made it seem like the reviewers would want to ensure the ads mention the software name, and that can only be accomplished by uploading ads?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

@Bratok;

Can you link the section of the Policy in which you found the wording / language to be ambiguous?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/6023676#uc

You can promote free desktop software only if your ad leads to the authoritative online distribution source of that software. Also make sure that your ad includes the name of the specific software.
If you are the publisher of the specific software the your ad promotes, apply to register your site as the authoritative distribution source. We'll review your application and see if we can approve your disapproved ads.

-this is the only policy text available, and it seems like it's written to address the disapproved ads only, but it' is not clear what the process is for a new, never before advertised, software site

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Ohhh... I see what you mean... Interesting question.
I think Google will check the ads only after you launch the campaign - as in any other campaign. 

Once the campaign is launched,  the  ad  is submitted for a review. The reviewer - in addition to  verify that an authorization  is granted -  will also  check compliance of the   ad-text.