AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.3K members online now
3.3K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

An ad was disapproved but it's the same as an approved one

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

An in-display ad was flagged as inappropriate due to shocking content, but it's no different than the exact same ad that has already been approved and is currently running. What hapenned? There is no shocking content.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Ryan M
December 2016

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Ryan M,

As shocking as it sounds, some ads slip through and others are caught... but neither makes the ads either right or wrong, as only AdWords can pass or fail them as they get to them. 

With that said, It's hard for us to provide much help without seeing the ad. If you want to post a screenshot here, we will be happy to add our thoughts to the mix... or you can simply edit the ad to meet the requirements

All the Best,

James

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Ryan M
December 2016

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Ryan M,

As shocking as it sounds, some ads slip through and others are caught... but neither makes the ads either right or wrong, as only AdWords can pass or fail them as they get to them. 

With that said, It's hard for us to provide much help without seeing the ad. If you want to post a screenshot here, we will be happy to add our thoughts to the mix... or you can simply edit the ad to meet the requirements

All the Best,

James

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for your reply. It makes sense, I guess the first one went through unnoticed, but the second one was caught.

Other problem is, I didn't make the ad I just started using Google Adwords and it's a Google generated ad, I didn't do anything except click the promote button. I don't even know what the ad looks like.

The video itself that I'm promoting doesn't have anything shocking, it is a funny video about Star Wars, has screenshots and video clips from the movies, I don't even use bad language.

https://youtu.be/Y5Opmmo3n0A thisis the video that an ad was automatically generated for.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @Ryan M,

You are welcome. 

Since it involves a YouTube video, this is the information used. After looking at your video, I guess they are flagging the fighting in Star Wars scenes. That's the only thing that stands out.

Violent and shocking content in ads

We value diversity and respect for others, and we strive to avoid offending or shocking users with ads, websites, or apps that are inappropriate for our ad network.

Here are some examples of content that we consider or may be violent or shocking:

• Profane language
  • Violent language
  • Discriminatory terms or imagery
  • Gruesome imagery
  • Graphic images or accounts of physical trauma
  • Gratuitous bodily fluids or waste
  • Promotions that are likely to shock or scare
  • Promotions that are capitalizing on sensitive events

What we consider as shocking factors in video ads:

• Whether the video shows scenes containing violent and/or graphic imagery that can be shocking or disturbing to viewers (e.g, Showing blood splatter, sexual fluids, human or animal waste)
  • Whether the video shows the graphic aftermath of a violent act
  • Whether the shots of violence or gore are the focal point of the scene in the video
  • Whether the violence contained in the video is realistic when posted in a dramatic context
  • Other factors include the camera angle and focus, and the clarity of the images in the video

With any alerts, it can be the ad or landing page (website, video, etc.) that is being flagged. It can even be a link on a website that leads to bad content where the bad content is not on the website landing page at all. AdWords wants to make sure all advertisers are providing a really great experience to everyone.

You could make a small edit to the ad and then save it and see if it gets approved or your could ask for an exception and see if their automated system simply saw fighting and thought it was against the terms. Star Wars is not really violent to me, but I am a rather big fan of Star Wars... so I am rather biased. lol

Kind Regards,

James

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

That was a fantastic response, thank you so much. You know the part about the landing page having an impact needs to be included somewhere in writing (ofcourse it may be but I definitely missed it) that's probably exactly what it is, it leads back to the channel, and in the past I've done videos on Call of Duty even which almost definitely include images of violence, the game is rated M after all.

Again great response.

And make sure you get out to see Rogue One ASAP, just came from it and it was amazing!

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi @Ryan M,

I am happy to hear I was helpful in you growing your understanding of AdWords. It will all make you a better advertiser, which is what this is all about. 

Yes, Call of Duty can be rather violent but a lot of fun, too. I spent a lot of time on the original, 2, 3 and 4.... then had to cut myself off and get back to work. lol

Thanks for the recommendation on Rogue One. I have wanted to see it... and now you have it nagging at me even more. 

I do wish you the best on your AdWords success. 

All the Best,

James