AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.5K members online now
1.5K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Affiliate Tracking Link

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi,

I have a landing page and in order to track adwords activity I need to use a 3rd party tracking link which lives on a different domain. Is this allowed on adwords? 

Thanks,

Matt

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Affiliate Tracking Link

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Matt,

Affiliate using AdWords has been a controversial subject ever. Can you explain in more details what exactly you want to set up in AdWords, I mean the flow?

Pankaj

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Pankaj,

Thanks for your reply.

I'm not advertising an affiliate site just using an affiliate (3rd party) tracking link

- The landing page lives on one domain www.example.com

- I need to use a tracking link (which redirects to my landing page) but this lives on a different domain www.hello.com

I think this is possible as many sites must use 3rd party tracking?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
I should add that my landing page url is not included in the tracking link

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Hi Matt,

Are you saying that when the user clicks on the URL, one page opens up and it again redirects to another page which is actually your landing page?

Pankaj

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi, no you only see the landing page when you click. The redirect is not visible to the eye

I've been looking around and it looks like you can do this but as my redirect is on a different domain to the landing page, I need to add multiple final URLs

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
This is what tracking templates are for. Your redirect link will the ad's tracking template, and the page it redirects to will the final URL.

As long as the final URL is correct, you can use third-party redirects in tracking templates.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hey Michael,

Does this still apply if the landing page url is not included in the tracking link?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Yes.

There is no requirement that the final URL be visible in the tracking template.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
ok excellent, thanks