AdWords
3.1K members online now
3.1K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Adwords site is suspended, can I still run ads?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have been advertising a website that sells an item using Adwords for around 3 months. Everything was going great, lots of sales, happy customers, etc. Friday I was told the site has been flagged by Google and suspended for misleading content. I have updated the site and it is being reviewed.

My question is, I have another domain and website that sells the same item. Can I pause the ad groups that are/were being used for the suspended site and use them for the second site while the first site is under review? The rep I talked to on the phone made sure to tell me several times that my account hasn't been suspended, and that I can still make new ads for other websites. I should have asked him about this, but I didn't so thought I'd ask here.

Thanks in advance for your help.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Bill,

Technically, yes you can. However keep in mind that repeated violations in one account will lead to the account being suspended and you being banned (likely for life) from AdWords use.

I suggest slowing down, digging into the websites and AdWords policies and bringing everything up to par before proceeding. If one website was suspended for issues that another website is mimicking, you will likely have problems, and sooner than before. When support said you can make new ads for other websites, they were not referring to a duplicate of the previous.  

Kind Regards,

James

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi James,

I think I understand why my site was misleading. I have reviews from buyers who really like the item, and when we request a review we ask how much money they are making. This is not a product about making money or anything like that, it's actually an ebook about getting into a certain career. So, I was told by the Google rep that not everyone will make the same amount of money, so there can't be any mention of making money in the reviews we collected and posted.

The other site will not be a duplicate at all, and will be more straight-forward with introducing the book and discussing other benefits of this particular career and not discussing how much money someone can make in the career.

Any other advice of yours is highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Bill

Edit: Just to be clear, when you are talking about not duplicating, are you talking about the previous suspended site, or the ads, or both?

Do you think it will be a problem to use the same ads we were using for the suspended site, because there was never a problem with the ads, just the site?

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Your plan is good. However, with Google it is always preferable to fix the problem. Ideally you change the current site so that the reviews aren't there, and get the suspension lifted.

Otherwise, if your new site was suspended as well, you could potentially lose your account for multiple violations.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Rob, thanks to both of you for taking time to reply. I agree, and I hope the changes we've made will put the site in the clear. My problem right now is that I don't know how long it will take to review the site. I see a lot of activity on many different pages of the site in India, which was where the rep I talked to was located, so I'm presuming that the site is being reviewed. I saw in the Google policies that it usually takes around 3 business days, but I've seen others online state that it has been weeks and their site still hasn't been reinstated and no decision given.

We're losing around $300 a day in revenue. That's why I wanted to start advertising the book again now instead of later.

Do you have any idea about the percentage of sites that are successfully reinstated after being suspended? It seems, after spending hours reading various forums, that most sites that are suspended are never reinstated.

Again, I really appreciate your advice.

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star

In your situation, I would always expect the suspension to be lifted.

Keep in mind that often when you fix one policy violation, they find another one. There can also be a bit of back and forth, because typically what they tell you to fix isn't exactly right. Normally the response to reviews and testimonials is that they need a disclaimer, but if earnings are mentioned it does make sense to remove them entirely.

I don't know if working for an agency gives us an advantage, or being in Australia, but when we speak to a human Googler and tell them the issues have been fixed, they un-suspend the site within 24hrs. 

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi Bill,

You are very welcome. 

Duplicating the ads is not a problem and it does make sense to reuse them if they are successful for you. 

If you made the changes to the website, you can submit the site for review, which usually happens within 24 hours. This is the best approach.

Keep in mind that you do not want two accounts active with AdWords for the same product/website... so if you crank up the other one... you will want to pause all actions with the suspended one. If they both show up in the same auction at the same time... you will likely encounter a very serious account suspension. 

Kind Regards,

James