AdWords
2.7K members online now
2.7K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Adwords fundraising rules

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I recently set up an ad and received this message

At this time, Google policy does not permit the advertisement of websites that contain the solicitation of funds and do
not display tax-exempt status.

The site has a link for fundraising for a political campaign. Australian rules don't require a statement regarding tax exemption on the website. What wording is required to satisfy Google? TIA 

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Ita (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: Adwords fundraising rules

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner

Hmm... 

Here is the help page. It looks like you can "Solicit of funds by politicians or political parties... that aren't tax-exempt as long as the landing page clearly indicates that the donation isn't tax-exempt." The donation apparently is only tax exempt if the site/charity is "For example, in the United States, 501(c)(3) or 501(c)(4)"

I looked at both American Pres. candidates sites, and found this disclaimer on Mitt Romney's site donation page:

"Your donation is not tax-deductible as a charitable donation for federal income tax purposes. Your donation will be used in connection with federal elections and is subject to the prohibitions of the Federal Election Campaign Act."

Don't know if this helps or not, but that was an interesting exercise. Thanks for asking this question! Smiley Happy

Tom

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Ita (Google Employee)
September 2015

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner

Hmm... 

Here is the help page. It looks like you can "Solicit of funds by politicians or political parties... that aren't tax-exempt as long as the landing page clearly indicates that the donation isn't tax-exempt." The donation apparently is only tax exempt if the site/charity is "For example, in the United States, 501(c)(3) or 501(c)(4)"

I looked at both American Pres. candidates sites, and found this disclaimer on Mitt Romney's site donation page:

"Your donation is not tax-deductible as a charitable donation for federal income tax purposes. Your donation will be used in connection with federal elections and is subject to the prohibitions of the Federal Election Campaign Act."

Don't know if this helps or not, but that was an interesting exercise. Thanks for asking this question! Smiley Happy

Tom

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Thomas, I had a suspicion, but wasn't too sure about how to do it. Thanks for the quick link.

Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner

This is a very interesting topic for me. I would love to hear what solution you come up with here captain! Good luck. Smiley Happy

Tom

Ita Google Employee
Google Employee
# 5
Ita Google Employee
Google Employee

Hi Petermac, 

Tomhalejr gave you some great advice on this! 

If there is no Australlian statue about this (I'm not sure I work in Google Ireland) then for political ads just make sure your landing prominently states donations are not tax-exempt. 

Ita

Google Employee
# 6
Google Employee

Good answers!

One more note on this... There are some countries that have fairly severe restrictions on political advertising: you can't run ads at all, or can't run them within 30 days of the election, or whatever.  I know Mexico is one of those countries, but I can't remember whether Australia is on the list.  There's a page about this somewhere on the Help Center, but I can't find it right now.

Laura

Ads Review engineer