AdWords
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Adwords ads appearing in my gmail inbox

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Whats going on? Ads for Adwords showing up in my gmail inbox. Can't reply, can't mark as spam. Can only forward. Very annoying. 3X in one week. And only on my iPad, not MacPro. Weird

3 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Debbie R
September 2015

Re: Adwords ads appearing in my gmail inbox

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello,

It looks like you doesn't want ads in your gmail. Although as per Google, you cannot remove all the ads, but you can always report them.

I hope that this help center article might help you: https://support.google.com/ads/answer/2662850?hl=en

Pankaj

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi,

In addition to what Pankaj has said. It looks like to me that those are not adwords ads. AdWords ad in Gmail is just one text line shows above your inbox and doesn't cover any buttons or inhibit your email function.

If you are seeing those ads everywhere you go, this could be an Adware. AdWare is a software displays advertising banners or pop-ups on your computer when you use your Internet browser. It installs itself on your computer without your consent and starts injecting ads in your browser in order to generate revenue for its author.

How to remove Adware:-
http://us.norton.com/catch-spyware-before/article

Also, If you don't want to see adwords ads in Gmail at all, you can choose to use Gmail’s basic HTML view, or POP or IMAP.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Debbie R,

maybe you are receiving Engagement ads - check this out:
https://www.linkedin.com/today/post/article/20140626122157-50185376-gmail-sponsored-promotion-ads
If this is not the case, then Ahmed Ali's and pankaj1782 answers are the case.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hello Debbie,

Welcome to AdWords Community.

It's a new kind of Ad that shows at top of your email list, and when you click it, it opens up like a normal email. You can't reply to this email, you can only forward it to someone. 

If you are done reading it, or if you are not interested in it, simply click 'Dismiss' button next to the Forward button. The ad will be gone. 

Now to explain it better for your knowledge- 

It's a new type of ad which you can forward to a friend, or star to save it to your inbox. If you dismiss this ad, you won't see it again. This ad is based on emails from your mailbox and information from your Google account. Ads Settings puts you in control of the ads you see.

Hope it helps. 

Thanks
Ratan

Join me on Google+

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I went to that site, filled out a form and still the ads appear. What is interesting is that I only get them on my iPad Gmail account. Puzzling. Thank you for answer. It was the right one I just already had tried it

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I called the Gmail Adwords help number and was directed to the site that Pankaj gave. I used screen shots since that was all I could do. The support number I called was on the email ad and it did seem legit. I did call Google support next. The person I spoke to informed me that Google is aware of issue and they are trying to fix. Quite annoying. Thank you for reaching out. Still trying to figure out why ad appears only on iPad.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Since i am only getting this ad on my iPad, there is no dismiss button next to the 'forward' button. Weird. Why only iPad?
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Rising Star
# 9
Rising Star
Hi Debbie,

i think you may have been seeing Google Sponsored Promotion (GSP) ads in your Inbox. These normally show under the Promotions tab but you do get a small promo text sorts ad with a logo next to it in you inbox.

Also, I am mostly sure this is a GSP ad because you said you were still getting the same ads post filling up their form. Since GSP is a fairly new ad format, there isn't much control that we have over the delivery of the ad except for the usual, geo,keyword, ICM, etc.

Like Ratan suggested, you need to dismiss the ad to avoid seeing it again but this can only be done by going to the promotions tab and then dismissing it from the main ad.

Also, GSP does allow device level targeting, so for all you know GSP has classified you as a Tablet user and the ads from the advertiser are also targeted towards just Tablet users which is why you can only see the ad on your tablet.

Hope this helps!

Cheers!

Shashank
Cheers,
Shashank Singh, AdWords Rising Star |
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Community Manager
# 10
Community Manager
Excellent responses and advice - Pankaj, Ahmed, mvarga, Ratan and Shashank. Thank you all. This is true Community spirit.

Debbie, you are really lucky to have received advice from so many experts out here. I'm just curious if you could resolve your issue. Do keep us posted when you get a moment.

Thanks,
Mini