AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.2K members online now
4.2K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Adwords Support gun policy issues

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We are attempting to post an ad for hunting apparel and Adwords Support is stating that we are denied due to a gun violation on our site. We do not sell any guns or parts that are used to build a gun. At this point we only have binoculars and rifle scopes, according to the policy our site does not violate any policies. Our competitors actually sell firearms on their site. We are looking for any advice or someone that we can talk to to get our ad approved. Our site is www.1shotgear.com and some of our competitors are Cabela's and Midway USA. Any help is much appreciated

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Adwords Support gun policy issues

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner
What is the specific disapproval message you are getting?
Tom

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
This is a common problem. A recent query here was from someone with the same situation, however they are selling printer cartridges.

You should be able to get your site manually approved by contacting AdWords Support. However, as long as you have any words on your site that could be gun-related, the problem could keep returning.

I would definitely change the name of your Rifle Scopes category to just Scopes. And any use of the word riflescope, I'd change to just scope.

The other option is to create an AdWords-only site that doesn't sell the scopes.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
There has apparently been a recent update to the firearms automation policy about two to three weeks ago. If you're seeing item level disapprovals that's likely your culprit, though it could also be affecting the policy automation that checks site content. I have RV parts clients and restaurant suppliers getting hit with tons of these disapprovals, and the big change is that where as before you could request a manual review and have the disapprovals overturned, that's no longer the case anymore.

You can submit items for manual review when they get a guns or weapons disapproval, but it's not actually manually reviewed now, the policy automation overrides it and will disapprove the item again. Currently there is no solution or work around besides trying to change the title, description and Item ID to get it past automation. But seeing as things like plastic cup lid holders and tea spoons are getting disapproved, I have little hope of that work around being effective.