AdWords
4.1K members online now
4.1K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Adwords Rep Gets a 404, But No One Else?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Our Adwords have been disapproved, as the site is "in violation of our Site not Working policy." The rep has sent me screenshots of the 404 error they receive (a default Windows 404, not the custom site 404) when they try to access the site. Strangely enough, the ads ran successfully for a few days, but then we paused them, and then they were disapproved!

Yet everyone else I ask to try the site can see it correctly. I've tried many 3rd party sites (network traces, site up or down type services, site at different resolution type services), even trying a proxy based in Ireland (where I think the rep is) and India, all work. The site log files even see successful access from the Adwords Bot.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, the site is https://recycledoc.co.uk

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Adwords Rep Gets a 404, But No One Else?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hello, Rob.

I've only encountered this situation once. It happened because the website in case was using an IP filter from the Anti Hacker Alliance. Essentially, any request from an IP on that list was served a blank page (not a 404).

The huge surprise was when the devs found that 2-3 of the IPs on that list, which were supposed to be hacker / bot IPs, belonged to Google, in Mountain View. Therefore the rep could not see anything on that website, while any other person (except perhaps hackers and bots) could access the website and purchase from it.

Make sure you don't have some filters in place and if you do, try to ask the rep to access a specific URL that nobody else accesses, so you can check your logs to see the IP she/he's using and make sure it's not on that list.

Hope it helps.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks. Some progress, it is not just this website that the Adwords rep cannot see, but every site on the same server. It is a dedicated Windows 2012 server, but there are no IP filters in place. The Adwords rep can see another server with the same host.

Feeling slightly lost at this point!

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Have you checked with the host to make sure that there wasn't some security update that is blocking Google? I know you said there were no IP filters, but sometimes they don't realize they've been put in place.

We have a client whose servers were disappearing from Google on a monthly basis. The server host swore up and down that it wasn't them, that it had to be a technical issue on their end or Google's. I had to do a lot of digging and research to finally show definitively that it was a server issue, and it turned out that despite their constant denials that an update to some of their security measures was blocking Google bots and IPs. This had been going on for at least six months without them knowing about it at all, and it was affecting numerous clients of theirs.