AdWords
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Adword approval/ownership for upcoming rebranding...

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Our company has been under a particular business name/brand for 15 years. We're getting ready to rebrand/rename, change domain names, etc. Do we need to setup some sort of registration with Adwords to show ownership of the new brand name/domain name prior to launch?

I was told that we should do so in order to keep other Adword businesses from using our new name to generate Adword campaigns. Is this nonsense?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'll also add that right now our new domain name is 301 redirecting to our current brand/domain. Creating an Adword campaign isn't possible for us at this time due to this. Would it be stupid to create a landing page for the new domain, create an Adword campaign for that new brand to prove ownership of the brand/domain?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Update:
I called Adword support line and spoke with them. They said that owning the trademark for the new brand name is sufficient to contest anyone else using our new brand name. We've already applied for our trademark and are awaiting its approval. If for some reason we're denied our trademark status, what would be our best option to prove ownership?

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

@David D

What you were told was most likely related to registering a trademarked term. If the new brand is not trademarked, then there is nothing you can do.

You don't need to prove ownership if you're not currently using the domain. BTW, I'd turn off that 301. 301 means permanent, and what you've described is not that. I'd switch to 302, or not redirect at all. From a brand perspective it's counter-productive.

When you go live with the new brand, adding remarketing code from Adwords is the easiest way to prove ownership of the website being advertised. The need to prove ownership is only necessary for certain scenarios. For example, using a different phone number in your call extension than what is found on the website for call tracking purposes.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you for the reply, @David K! What's your recommendation for SEO purposes for the redirect? I'd love to begin building the SEO prior to launch, so that the current SEO value carries over to the new domain. Would it be a bad idea to clone the website and allow it to function on both domains? My guess is that Google's algorithm would frown on that. 

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

@David D

you are correct. You definitely don't want to clone it.  I respect and understand that you want to get a jump on SEO efforts. However, there is really nothing you can do until you actually make the switch.  Right now the new brand's domain has no value to a user. Therefore, it has no use in Google's results.  

If you've got some time before you make the switch, keep up your efforts for the current site. When the switch happens, ensure that you have page for page 301s set from old to new. I'd keep those up for 3 to 6 months just to be sure that everything is covered. Then you can just do a sitewide one on the registrar level if you don't want extra hosting costs.

If the switch is soon, then just prepare for it. Start working on the .htaccess code (assuming Apache server here) that will do a page for page 301 redirect.  If it's a simple business card site, you can do a line for line. If it's ecommerce with a lot of products, you'll probably need something more sophisticated with RegEx. Perhaps even write some press releases that announce the change. 

After the switch, if it's easy to change existing links to the current site to the new one, go ahead and do that. There is a slight degradation with 301 redirects.  If it's difficult, I wouldn't worry about it, because it's probably not worth the effort. Your energy there is probably best spent building new links for the new brand.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you again, @David K, for the advice! Our website is indeed an eCommerce site hosted on Shopify Plus. For us, it should be as simple as making the new domain our primary, and they handle the redirects from old to new. The structure will be exactly the same, so that should work nicely. I've emailed Shopify asking them to make the redirect currently in place for the new domain to be changed to a 302.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

And lastly (or first...)  verify that the landing page and the business model comply with the Policy..... Smiley Surprised

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’