AdWords
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Advertising Lawyers Services to Clients Looking For Marijuana Business Linceses

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

i have been building the adwords account for a client who is an attorney in Colorado and wants to target clients who are looking for help in Marijuana business. Licensing, growing, and opening dispensaries. I have had about 10 ads disapproved while the other 10 were approved by Google. I used Keyword Planner to build the ad groups. I paused all the ads just in case, because didn't want to get the account suspended for having so many ads disapproved. Can anyone tell me if it's even possible to advertise such services on Adwords? 

Regards,

aziz

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
July

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi @abduaziz r,

It does not matter if it is legal in a state, all advertising must adhere to AdWords polices and be legal products federally in the United States. The AdWords Keyword Planner will run searches for most anything, however, policy is absolute. 

If you check this policy file and go down to recreational drugs... and read each line. Now look under that at tobacco. As you can see, rolling papers cannot be advertised even though they are legal. There is a zero tolerance by AdWords for the whole industry. They have to because the industry is not a federally approved industry but some states operating against federal laws. Google wants no part of it. 

While I do have criminal attorneys as clients and we do defend those arrested for drug charges, we use words very carefully and submit any ads for manual review and exceptions that even mention the words "drug charges". Just the mention of drugs will bring a high level of review to any account... and we are not even helping anyone grow it or distribute it. 

I do not think your AdWords account will last long before a serious suspension is slapped on it. I would be very cautious since it can go against you, too, and end your AdWords career. 

Kind Regards,

James

View solution in original post

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

The 10 disapproved Ad - Have you checked the comment why they got disapproved?

Thanks,

Aslam

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

It says "Recreational Drugs" and the link takes you to the policy page, which is not really related to the services. The lawyer is not advertising any products or not enticing anyone to use the drug. Also, in colorado it is legal to have Medical marijuana business. They just need licenses. That's where the attorney comes in. 

Re: Advertising Lawyers Services to Clients Looking For Marijuana Business Linceses

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Can you please show me the Ad copy

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am responding from my phone, but this is what it says: Need Help Getting Medical Marijuana Grower's License? Hire an Attorney Now. I'll Help Comply With Local &a State Laws. 

Re: Advertising Lawyers Services to Clients Looking For Marijuana Business Linceses

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Ok...As I guess there must be a word in the Ad, which is not acceptable by Google Policy

So, if you share the Ad, I may be help you.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
July

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi @abduaziz r,

It does not matter if it is legal in a state, all advertising must adhere to AdWords polices and be legal products federally in the United States. The AdWords Keyword Planner will run searches for most anything, however, policy is absolute. 

If you check this policy file and go down to recreational drugs... and read each line. Now look under that at tobacco. As you can see, rolling papers cannot be advertised even though they are legal. There is a zero tolerance by AdWords for the whole industry. They have to because the industry is not a federally approved industry but some states operating against federal laws. Google wants no part of it. 

While I do have criminal attorneys as clients and we do defend those arrested for drug charges, we use words very carefully and submit any ads for manual review and exceptions that even mention the words "drug charges". Just the mention of drugs will bring a high level of review to any account... and we are not even helping anyone grow it or distribute it. 

I do not think your AdWords account will last long before a serious suspension is slapped on it. I would be very cautious since it can go against you, too, and end your AdWords career. 

Kind Regards,

James

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank You so much for your response.  I removed all the ads and keywords related to recreational drugs.  Another question, if you don't mind, Will attorneys website referring to his practice in Hemp & Marijuana industry get the account suspended? Because we are running ads for Real Estate contracts, Landlord/ Tenant issues, etc.  If the traffic is sent to his website from ads that do not violate policies, can his website get us banned from Adwords?

Thank You

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hi @abduaziz r,

You are very welcome.

It should not but you will want to keep everything very professional and very legal focused. As long as it makes sense that they are attorneys that provide a service that adheres to industry standards, it should be understood and interpreted correctly. Our criminal attorney clients use all of the typical drug terminology to talk about being arrested for it... and we have never had any issues. 

Kind Regards,

James

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

You are a life saver.  Thank You so much