AdWords
4.8K members online now
4.8K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Adult Classification Issue For Sex Toy Website

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I have a really annoying issue for my clients website. The website is a sex toy website and has a large number of camapigns that work perfectly and have done for years. We have one campaign that is generic and the keyword is 'adultstore' that has the 'adult classification' on it. Ironically its counterpart 'adult store' does not?

Anyway my client gets a lot of conversions from  'adultstore' keyword and has noticed it has dropped out. Moreover everyone of his cometitors is appearing on this keyword. I have raised a support reuqest a week ago and support is taking forever to come back to me. 

I have gone through all process of elimination on this one and am getting a little flustered. It cant be an issue with the website itself because the ads are working on 99% of the other keywords. It is just this one very popular keyword and the client is aware of and his competitors are there and he isnt : http://screencast.com/t/3LiLp05sd

Please can someone give me some advice here. I would share the website, but it is a pretty big brand, so would rather not. There is no nudity on the wesbite and it adheres to the guidelines (again if it didnt it wouldnt show for other similar keywords).

Thanks you!

Jonathan

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Adult Classification Issue For Sex Toy Website

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello Jon O

Are you getting impressions at all by this keyword? or just a low number of impressions?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi MosheTLV,

Thanks for the reply.

No we are getting no impressions at all.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

When you hover on the speech bubble (next to the keyword status) - what message are you getting?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I am getting this message :

http://screencast.com/t/xoAzSjTZ

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

So; it's not a specific keyword issue - it's an ad issue. The ad is restricted, not the keyword!

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hello, Jon.

If you activate "safe search", does your competitor ad still show?

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Well yes in a sense, however the same ad displays for all other keywords. I have also created a new ad group with just this one keyword and put a very generic ad in and I am getting the same message. 

Do you have any suggestions for a way around this? Also note that the same ad is OK for keyword 'adult store' but not showing for keyword 'adultstore'. Kind of breaks logic a little.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Calin,

No all results are filtered out with safe search on.

Thanks

Jon

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Here's a wild guess, as I'm not an expert in this kind of policies.

Your website/ads are classified either as non-family safe (as they should be, as they are in the "Sexual enhancers or aids" category (https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/69787?hl=en#) or even "safe" (but it should not be like that).

Your competitors' websites are classified as adult. Maybe they were not as cautious as you were with regards to content, images, etc. Their ads, and your ads, only appear when safe search is not on. If it is, they all do not show (as they should).

The ads themselves are not considered adult, but this particular keyword is. Now this adult keyword is not triggering your ads because you've managed to keep your website in the non-family safe or even the safe area. They show for the competition because at least the top site has the right meta tag for adult classification (<meta name="RATING" content="RTA-5042-1996-1400-1577-RTA" />).

You can tell if your ads are safe or non-family safe if you search with safe search on and off. If your ads show for many other queries without enabling safe search, you've tricked the system (and may expect that by the time support gets back to you that your ads will start being labeled as non-family safe). If they don't, you're in the non-family safe area. You can also look at your ads' statuses, and if they simply state "approved" instead of "approved (family safe)", you're in the safe area.

If you want to show for adult keywords, you need to forget the safe traffic and move to the adult category, and then you'll most likely have your ads shown for queries of adult nature as well.

But like I said, I'm no expert, and all my construction may easily be flawed.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.