AdWords
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Ads running without a privacy policy or T&C's

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

hello i am still wondering why a competitors ad is still running when they have no T&C's or privacy policy on their website. I bought this up with google previously but no reply, and the competitors ads are still running right next to ours. It is easy for a company to whack on some T&C'S and a privacy policy, the issue for me is that it has been allowed to happen for over a year when it was picked up within a few days with us when we first started to advertise. This competitor also has has had two ads running on a single page for over a year.  My question i guess is why is do there seem to be different rules for different advertisers, is it all about turning a blind eye to get that extra buck?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Ads running without a privacy policy or T&C's

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Not every site advertised requires Privacy and T&C. Though it's highly recommended.
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello,

Just a small addition to what Moshe said above, if you think that some ads are violating the policies, you can report them directly to Google by filling up this form: https://support.google.com/adwords/troubleshooter/4578507?rd=1

Google would investigate this and take the necessary action if required as far as I know.

Pankaj

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Really, google have said that all advertisers must have privacy policy and T&C's

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Please provide a reference to this statement by Google?
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

MosheTLV wrote:
Please provide a reference to this statement by Google?

Hello Moshe, Have a look at the comment by Hillary at 23.26

I sent a few enquiries last Friday I believe, do you have a records of those enquiries? I have not heard anything back as yet.

Google
1:01 AM
You are now connected to Michelle R. Please type your message and hit 'Enter' to send.
1:02 AM
Thanks for chatting today! My name is Michelle and I'm happy to help you. Give me one second to check on your issue and pull up your account.
Great , I have your account up here!
What site are you looking at
1:04 AM
xxxxxxxxx and xxxxxxxxxx are the same company! they have no privacy policy and T&C's also isn't it a rule that only one advertiser can advertise on a single page?
1:05 AM
Let me take a look-- please give me a few minutes
Just to clarify-- are these text ads that they advertise on?
1:07 AM
yes
go to xxxxxxxx and look at their sitemap at the footer.

Michelle R
01:12
Please give me a few more minutes here as I jot down my findings
Essentially, I can build a case for our policy team to review

Great thank you for your patience. I have pulled both sites and taken information on it, and I will have the sites reviewed
Thank you for bringing this for our attention
Is there anything else I can look into for you today?
Michelle
01:17
Great thank you for your patience. I have pulled both sites and taken information on it, and I will have the sites reviewed
Thank you for bringing this for our attention
Is there anything else I can look into for you today?
01:17
I sent a few enquiries last Friday via email do you have a records of those enquiries? I have not heard anything back as yet.
01:19
I actually can only see the cases associated with your ID
If you sent it to the Policy team, I won't be able to see it
Either way, I can submit this information on my end as well to ensure it gets looked in to
01:19
i just sent it via the help menu from our adwords account
it was about a different issue alltogether
01:20
Yea, depending on the request it could go directly to our policy team (which I won't see)
Let me check one other place for you
Give me a few minutes
01:22
i sent an email to local-help@google.com 7 days ago and haven't heard a thing back
01:24
Ah, this is for Google My Business
Have you tried calling the team?
01:24
I have asked my account manager xxxxxxxx and he said that he doesn't know anything about the google + pages and could not help, despite our budget exceeding $400 AUD per day.
01:25
Yes, we have a separate team for Google My Business
and 7 days is normal to not reply?
https://support.google.com/places/troubleshooter/3125936?hl=en
Michelle R joined group chat.
chatsupport_bot.talk.google.com joined group chat.
01:26
This does not seem normal, so I would definitely suggest reaching out to the team one more time to ensure your question wasn't lost
You can also call our team at 1-866-2-GOOGLE to be transferred to Google My Business
01:28
i am only a small busines owner but have spent $127,989.10 on advertising with you in 2 and a half years. not enough to get better help?
01:29
I apologize the team hasn't reached out to you, and I certainly want you to receive support
That being said, we need to get you in touch with that team
Are you willing to call?
01:35
i am just trying to find something, one moment please
this is the type of emails i receive from my "account manager"
Hi xxxxxx,
I got some news from some people who had some knowledge about the places issue. Wanted to let you know that you should log in to your Google Places account immediately and review and submit your request ASAP. If the reviews still exist and are unverified, then you should immediately proceed with the aforementioned process as you would not like this information to lapse.
Regards,

xxxxxxxxx
Is it confusing for you, as it was for me?
some news from some people who had some knowledge...not very specific now is it
01:36
Gary, I apologize you haven't had a great experience with your account manager, but the good news is you can speak directly with the Google My Business team
I hear you, and again, I want you to be able to reach the right team to get a resolution
01:36
what is the number for the google + team, i guess i will have to call from australia and add that to our expenses!
michelle
No-- you can actually have the team call you so you don't have to do the outbound call!
https://support.google.com/places/troubleshooter/3125936?hl=en#ts=3138233,3138299,3138641
Click call us here

WED 23 11pm

Google
23:13
You are now connected to Hillary W. Please type your message and hit 'Enter' to send.
chatsupport_bot.talk.google.com joined group chat.
Hillary W joined group chat.
23:17
Thank you for chatting in today, my name is Hillary. Can I have your name as well?
I apologize about the wait time, are you still there?
23:18
hello i am still wondering why a competitors ad is still running when they have no T&C's or privacy policy on their website. I bought this up with michelle previously. When we had none of these requirements our ads stopped running. Has the policies changed?
23:21
To my knowledge, the policy has not changed and is still intact. Let me take a deeper look within our policies and the communication you had with Michelle.
I will be right back.
23:26
Thank you very much, the terms and conditions & policies still need to be a part of the site to comply with advertising policies. I see the communication you had with Michelle and Sonia regarding this. Michelle has brought this to the attention of our Policy Team.
23:27
this company has had two ads running on a single page without T&C's and a privacy policy for over a year, i am surprised google did not pick this up, as you did with us so quickly.
23:29
Unfortunately, we can not give details on the outcome of this investigation because these sites/accounts are not verified through a customer ID/login email address, by you.
I can ensure you that the policies are the same across the board, we want to make sure that users receive the best experience with the ads that are shown.
I appreciate you bringing this to our attention.
Were there any questions or concerns I can help with in your account?
23:31
mate it is easy for a company to whack on some T&C'S and a PP. it is the issue for me that it has been allowed to happen for so long, when again, it was picked up by you with us in the first week of us starting to advertise on google. Also i have no interest in accessing my competitors info if that it was you are suggesting hillary.
23:33
I am not suggesting that is what you'd like to do, I was just letting you know that unfortunately we can't discuss where our policy team is on this investigation.
I can understand the frustration this has caused.
We are working to correct this error.
23:33
no frustration just confusing, have a good day.
23:34
I hope you have a good day as well, thank you for chatting in and bringing this to our attention.
23:34
Thank you for contacting AdWords chat support. Your chat session is now complete.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Exactly as I replied: Google investigated the case and most likely did not find a violation. Not every site requires a Privacy and T&C. Having said that - it is highly recommended to have a Privacy policy.

And a side note: if you think that you could suspend your competitor due to a lack of Privacy policy - you are wrong. If a privacy policy was  required - the advertiser would be asked to add one on the website. (This would not lead to a permanent suspension)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
So this comment means nothing?
Hillary W
23:26
Thank you very much, the terms and conditions & policies still need to be a part of the site to comply with advertising policies.

They do exactly what we do, so if rules should be the same for all, don't you think? It would take 5 seconds to cut and paste some T&C'S and PP on a website. I have no interest in suspending my competitor, my issue is that google has allowed a violation happen for so long (multiple ads showing from same company and no T&C'S or PP) and this would have substantially increased my advertising costs when i am competing against two ads from the same company on the same page. A bit unfair i think. Google have closed me down on this issue and shut up like an oyster shell and have referred to the standard lines, see below.

Hillary W
23:29
Unfortunately, we can not give details on the outcome of this investigation because these sites/accounts are not verified through a customer ID/login email address, by you.
I can ensure you that the policies are the same across the board, we want to make sure that users receive the best experience with the ads that are shown.
I appreciate you bringing this to our attention.
Were there any questions or concerns I can help with in your account?

Big Bullies that have quite happily received nearly $130.000.00 dollars from me but then when i have a legitimate concern they treat me like an idiot. Do you work for google?

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

You are taking the quote out of its context. This was a general statement which is generally correct. Now you need to look at the specifics:
The issue was brought to the attention of a Policy expert, and it seems that no violation found.

At this point my recommendation: Focus your attention on  your campaign's  optimization, rather than trying to find faults in your competitor's landing page....

PS: no. We are volunteers here. We do not work at Google.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author dashadoo
September 2015

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
A Policy expert you say. Just like you huh. Hillary was so on the ball she advised me to enjoy the rest of my day, which is a lovely gesture. However is she was such an expert and so professional she should have looked at my account details and realised that we are from Australia and it was 11.30pm here. These may seem small matters to you but it all goes toward making the customer, me, feel confident that my money is being spent well. In Australia we call it attention to detail. Anyway i have halved my budget with google and instead put the other half into advertising with Facebook, they have so far been very professional and helpful, even asking things like "how's the weather down there in Australia"