AdWords
3K members online now
3K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Ads Run Briefly, Then Stop, Due to "Malicious or Unwanted Software"

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

This has happened twice now. I have an ad running. The ad stops a few days later, and the following email appears in my inbox:

Hello,

We wanted to alert you that one of your sites violates our advertising policies. Therefore, we won't be able to run any of your ads that link to that site, and any new ads pointing to that site will also be disapproved.

Yet a day later, the process repeats. My ads are not running again. Please tell me what I am to do.

2 Expert replyverified_user

[ Edited ]
Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Hi Damon,

Thanks for reaching out.

Google doesn't allow the promotion of sites infected with malware, or the sale of malicious software. In some cases, you may be unaware that you have malware on your site. But to protect the safety and security of our users, we stop all ads pointing to sites where we find malware.

What can I do if my site gets suspended for malware?

Follow the steps below to check your computer for malware, remove all malicious code from your site, and submit your site and ads for review.

Step 1: Check the status of your site in Google's Search Console site.

1) Visit google.com/webmasters and sign in.

2) If you're new to Search Console, enter your website into the field and click Add a site. Note that you might be asked to verify that you own that site.

3) Look at the status displayed for that site to see what issues were found.

Step 2: Click the appropriate scenario below to see detailed next steps.

Search Console does find malware on your site

Here's an overview of the steps you'll need to take:

1) Quarantine your site

2) Assess the damage

3) Clean up your site

4) Ask Google to review your site

Follow these instructions and we'll walk you through each step. Please make sure that your primary domain, all sub-domains, and all verified site redirects are cleared of malware.

If you're not able to complete some of the technical steps yourself, please contact your web hosting provider or visit stopbadware.org for more information.

Once you're sure your site is free from any infected code and content, just request a review and our automated system will review your site within 24 hours. If the scan comes back clean, we'll review the case and let you know if your ads can start running again.

Search Console does not find malware on your site

Even if Search Console does not identify any issues, it's still possible that your site has security issues detected by the AdWords systems. Check with your webmaster or web hosting provider to see if they can identify the problem. You may also want to visit stopbadware.org for more information. If you still need help, please contact us and we'll be happy to help. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm really confused here. The status of my site is "No new messages or recent critical issues." I've asked some people better than I at website design to check for problems, but they couldn't find anything.

I just want to get my ads running again. I was getting a good ROI with you guys, but sales have dropped precipitously since the ads stopped.

Is there someone I can talk to? I'm really frustrated here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Perhaps the issue is not malware. I don't see that warning anymore but instead see a "misleading content" warning. I have gone through all the issues on this page:

https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/6020955?hl=en#366

However, I cannot determine any issues that apply to my site. Could I get clarification here?

My best guess is that my ads didn't have my product name on them, which I am fixing. I uploaded a new ad with the product name inside, but it won't run because "site suspended." But then again, that should be an ad problem, not a site problem.

So, I'm 100% lost at this point.

Please help me get this fixed lest I (God forbid) have to run ads on Bing.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I would really like help here. Can we set up a phone appointment so that you can walk me through this? I'll even pay for the help.

I'm desperate to get my ads back running. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I spoke to live chat today, and someone finally elucidated the problem. Now that I have made changes, I can no longer find the live chat option! That seemed to be the only reliable way of getting a human to help me (it seems no one is reading these forums, as I have been waiting for 4 days for a response here).

How am I to resubmit my landing page for approval?

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi Damon,

First thing is to edit your first post and remove your account number and any personal info like that. This will protect your privacy and security. No one here would ever need any of that, which is why it warns not to post it. 

Secondly, please review this information carefully and when ready, use the link to submit your site for review. 

Kind Regards,

James