AdWords
5K members online now
5K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Ads Disapproved

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all,

Back in May our site was hacked and then flagged as containing malware by google. I immediately suspended all my adwords campaigns.

We then rebuilt the site on a new server (with improved security & malware defence and checking) and after the usual teething problems we let the site bed in for a couple of months.

When I tried to re-enable one of my suspended campaigns all the ads were disapproved (I had forgotten to amend the urls). After much help from adwords support they still remain disapproved. Support says that it is because some ads are returning 404 errors - but all the ads have been checked for validity several time - but when I look at my adwords account the reason for disapproval is listed as "policy", and the policy referred to is "malware".

We run nightly malware sweeps and the site is clean. 

How can I get this "flag" removed and my ads up and running before I go completey mad....?

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author RecursiveS
November 2015

Re: Ads Disapproved

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

At last!

Email received at 1.30 a.m declared site issue resolved. Re-submitted all ads for approval and they all passed!

No explanation that I can share I'm afraid...

View solution in original post

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
I think only adwords support can help regarding this issue. Aren't they providing the adgroups details in which the ads are redirecting to 404.

Regards
Archit, AdWords Rising Star, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
You'll have to first resubmit the site for approval.
See the following link;
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1704383?hl=en
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you MosheTLV and Archit M,

We have done numerous re-scans and verified that all the urls on our enabled campaign (just the 1 to get me going again) are pointing to the right place.

I'll post the full solution if and when we get there (and if it is extra to this post) in the hope that it will help others but this is where we are now.....

• It appears that because our site was flagged as malware our ads were automatically disapproved.
  • Re-scanning our site returned 404 errors, but, critically, this stopped the bot in it's tracks.
  • Because of this, it would not return a 'verified clean' message so we continued to be flagged.
  • The 404 errors were from very old, paused campaigns, but apparently the bot scans them anyway.
  • After escalating the problem and discussions with a senior adwords support bod, we made changes to our sef system to re-direct the problem urls.
  • An initial re-scan, from their end, indicated that the site was returning as 'clean' and the ads should soon be approved.
  • That was some 9 hours ago, we are still 'disapproved' so I have no idea whether we are good to go or not....

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star
I suggest you to wait, might you will get a callback/ e-mail from adwords support regarding you campaign. Otherwise my advise is to follow up with the same person whom you are already in discussion regarding your issue. I hope you might be having his/her extension to contact & if somebody else talk to you simply ask for that person only as he /she is already aware of your issue and can guide you better than anyone.

Also it will be better if you delete that campaign from your account with ads redirecting to 404. And if you have historical data related to that campaign then first download the campaign data then proceed for deletion.

Regards
Archit, AdWords Rising Star, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

@RecursiveS;

Note: paused ads are checked for Policy compliance.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Well here we are, over two weeks later and still the problem exists. Google have confirmed many times that our site is clean yet the malware flag will not go away. It appears that Google is 100% automated and there is no manual override at all. We are in daily contact with technicians at Google - they are as baffled as we are.....

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
Please share the website URL.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author RecursiveS
November 2015

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

At last!

Email received at 1.30 a.m declared site issue resolved. Re-submitted all ads for approval and they all passed!

No explanation that I can share I'm afraid...