AdWords
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Add new domain name to existing adgroups?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I have recently taken over an Adwords account.

The site we are promoting has now changed domain name.

Am I able to add new ads to the existing adgroups with a new domain?

Or will this not be allowed because it still contains the paused ads from the old domain name? i.e. there will be ads for two different domains in the same adgroup.

I will obviously only have the ads from the new domain name active.

Thanks for your help

Sarah

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Add new domain name to existing adgroups?

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

@Sarah_AGF 

pausing will not be enough. You will have to delete them if you want to serve the new domain ads in the same adgroup.

Policy requires that all domains used in an adgroup match.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
@David K

Thanks for your help! I will delete the old ads and see if that works.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Sarah,

You may also want to consider just duplicating your existing campaigns in editor - adjusting the URLs within the new campaign and pausing the old one.

I don't believe that this will impact the account very much at all. You'd be resetting your existing ads by changing the URLs anyways and you can avoid the risk of having multiple URLs in the same ad group.

While I have not run into this for quite some time, in the past, I did run into something similar and it caused essentially an infinite loop of disapprovals. Now, I'm not positive that this is still the case and deleting the ads may work, I just wanted to offer an alternative option.

-Tommy
Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Tommy, I think I will go that route to start again afresh and avoid any disapproval issues.