AdWords
3.8K members online now
3.8K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

AdWords shutting down accounts containing the word "detox"?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I was hoping to get some feedback on this post by Natural News author Mike adams:

Google complies with FDA demands to secretly disable Adwords accounts of nutritional detox companies

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/036726_Google_Adwords_FDA_censorship.html

My assumption here is that despite the tone of the article, that there is not an actual active policing of the word detox itself, but that this is a singular example initiated by the FDa. But I wouldn't want to assume, you know what that could do.

Can anyone and/or a Google rep let me know whether this is something we should be concerned about?

a quick search for "detox tea" for example, leads me to believe that at least right now Google is not actively shutting down accounts with the word "detox" in them...

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by stephenb (Follower ✭ ☆ ☆)
September 2015

Re: non prescribed drugs/ OTC/ food supplements

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello coterie; welcome to Adwords community;

I do not think that there has been a change in Adwords policy . The site was found to be in violation of the Policy, thus, cannot be advertised.

I did look at the site:  it is clearly violating the Policy:

Google AdWords doesn't allow the promotion of the following pharmaceuticals and supplements, irrespective of any claims of legality:

• Herbal and dietary supplements with active pharmaceutical or dangerous ingredients
  • Non-government approved or non-prescription products that are marketed in a way that implies that they're safe or effective for use in preventing or treating a disease or ailment

Please read the full policy on medicines:

http://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=176031

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Re: AdWords shutting down accounts containing the word detox?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks, Moshe, for your reply and your welcome.

Though I appreciate your time, I don't think your reply really addresses my question.

My question was this: Is Google actively policing the term "detox" or was Global Healing Center's incident singular?

I had checked Google's policies and there is no mention in their policy that "detox" itself signifies a reason for account review or violation. I am hoping to get some clarification on this.

You've addressed why you think this site was in violation, I'm wondering if you are experienced in FDA compliance or whether you have any particular expertise in resolving and interpreting Google's health policies?

FDA compliance is a particularly complex matter and I don't think that your average person could spend a couple of minutes looking at a site and be able to discern compliant statements from non-compliant statements, so that's why I ask.

If you are particularly experienced I would love for you to answer the question:

Is Google actively policing the term "detox" or was Global Healing Center's incident due to FDA action?

If not, is there someone available from Google who can answer this question?

I note particularly that the FDA letter mentions that "chelation" products are dangerous. But the page for Dr. Groups Heavy Metal Cleanse, from what I can tell as a consumer does not actually contain the word "chelation" or "chelating" anywhere on the page (at least in its current state).

Re: Regulatory compliance /FDA compliance of products/ Adwords Healthcare policy

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello again coterie;

I thoroughly read your last post.

I do not want to get into FDA regulations of food supplement. (Though, contrary to your claim, I do have an engineering background with FAD regulations - in many years of my professional career, I was involved in medicinal regulatory requirements - I do agree that it is a very complex issue.)

However , this is not the issue in question: Google does not police "detox "products. Google decided, based on its own assessments/ evaluation,   that any non-approved (by government regulatory agency) product, that implies / claims healing effectiveness, cannot be advertised. This is AdWords policy.

As long as the products are not labeled with  an FDA (or an equivalent regulatory authority) certification - it cannot be advertised.

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’