AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4K members online now
4K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

AdWords account suspended many years ago, would like to get it back

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Many years ago I was in a mlm/network marketing company. The CEO had everybody running adwords ads to their replicated sites. Adwords banned them all.

Needless to say, I have not been involved in any similar business since.

That was around 2004 to 2006, I cannot even remember. The site no longer exists. I cannot fill out the forms on adwords (it requires the URL of the site), and when I call the number, it does not recognize my customer ID. I cannot speak with anyone, and just get the canned/auto email every time I try to get a response.

I have a couple clients now that I would like to use adwords for.

These businesses are ones I built the sites for and are valid products (patented). I simply want to do business for them using adwords.

Can anyone help me?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Tim,

So the account was suspended when you were an employee, and now you are working for yourself?

If so, just open an new AdWords account. As long as it is a different business, different credit card, different billing address, different web site, all should be fine. 

If you have been logging into the old account, there is a chance Google looks at your IP address and whatever else to decide you are the same entity.

Re: AdWords account suspended many years ago, would like to get it back

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Well.... I should say that before this post of yours,  the longest suspension I have heard about,  was about a violation happened in  2009. So, 2006 is  a new "record" by Google (10 years....)

It's a firm Policy by Google, with no waivers, that  the URL in violation must be fixed prior to any reinstatement. The only way you can appeal is to find the URL,  buy it, fix it, and then appeal. I should also add that if it   was a severe violation, or  there were repeated violations, then the chances of being reinstated would be  slim, (even if the URL  fixed).

In training I give  to advertisers / clients, about Policy issues,  I usually start with this video by Google (which was produced 4 years ago, but still relevant...) It  illustrates the point of "banning the advertiser for ever doing business with Google again" (time stamp 0:46)

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Rarely to happen, but I'm   in a bit in disagreement with @RobSkelton on that... Smiley Surprised

If Google banned you, then from Google's POV you were linked to the account, and considered to be the "advertiser" responsible to comply with the Policy. Hence, you are the one responsible to fix the violation.

Opening a new account will not help. Most likely you will be suspended, sooner or later...

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

It is definitely a grey area, as @MosheTLV points out. 

From a Google point of view, one strike and you are out forever, no matter what, unless the original suspension is fixed.

Google can't tell the relationship you had with the MLM company - they don't know if you were the CEO or an intern who was told create an email account and open an AdWords account. And they can't trust people to tell the truth about this either. But Google knows that their empire could crumble if user experience suffers, and it the collateral damage of missing out on some genuine advertisers is well worth it.

Although Google interpret their rules as they choose (which is fair enough), I would interpret the following to mean that an unrelated business can open a new account if it isn't the same person who created the suspended account.

When an account is suspended, we'll stop that account's ads from running. All related AdWords accounts will also be suspended along with any new accounts that you create in the future.
https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/2375414

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

@Tim G;

I asked Google to revisit the case. 

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

@Tim G;

Google replied that it looks that you currently have other accounts which are fine? Can you confirm

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you MosheTLV and RobSkelton for your replies. I have other emails for other companies that are 'gmail', but my partners handle all things google on those accounts. We had enough of a time with those already (one of my partners logged in from his Dad's computer while visiting him in another city - and they shut down the account). I have never used adwords (other than the mistake a decade ago), so I am really a beginner in this space. 

Thank you both for your help.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I found another account. I had no idea it even existed.
Thanks.