AdWords
6.9K members online now
6.9K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

AdWords Domestic Policy Raises Security Risk

J S
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
J S
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am the webmaster for the website of a U.SA. based manufacturer of high-end custom home products. We ONLY sell to U.S.A. based customers. Our AdWords campaigns are ONLY targeted to U.S.A. device searches.

Our website is NOT accessible to overseas because:
1. We want to reduce the risk that our products will be copied and "knocked-off" by overseas companies that do not respect USA copyright and trademark laws.
2. We only sell our products to USA based customers.
3. We want to reduce the risk of our site being infected or tampered with by malicious overseas hackers.

Why would AdWords need our site exposed to the world if our AdWords settings limit the ads exposure to only the USA?

Please make some sense of this. It is absurd that we would have to open our site up to the world and raise our risk profile (both for security AND for intellectual property infringement) just so ads can run in the USA. Sorry to sound childish but it does not take a rocket scientist to figure out this is a bad policy that should be changed a.s.a.p.

You have the best programmers in the world at your fingertips. There's no good reason they can't write a simple line of code to say that if ads are only targeted in USA, then the site only needs to be accessible in the USA.

Please advise. Our business is basically on hold until this gets sorted out. Smiley Sad Thanks in advance.

3 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @J S,

I agree on the reasons of having the ads and/or website only accessible to your preferred audience. 

You can use the location exclusion and make sure your ads are not shown in other countries. And if you set up location targeting along with location exclusions, you should not have an issue.  

Kind Regards,

James

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star

Hi @J S,

Unfortunately Google has some policies which are fine for 99.99% of their customers, but negatively affect a few. 

As you probably know, Google has a massive number of servers that distribute the heavy load of running AdWords, search and the rest. Because AdWords is a global product, it has servers all around the world. You site has to be accessible to whichever server is trying to look at it.

While I am not a software engineer, I can see why it would be difficult and (mostly) unnecessary to incorporate where a server is located into the AdWords back-end. I can't imagine any software that does this.

Obviously any non-USA person who wishes to see your site can do so if they use a proxy. If you open up you site to all countries, it might improve your organic rankings as well. Hacking concerns should be addressed by hardening your site security. 

To my mind your only concern is competitors stealing your product idea. But at the same time you need AdWords to promote your product. That's the decision you need to make. 

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

You should differentiate between location targeting at the  campaign setting (as already explained above) vs. the site which has to be accessible from all locations.

Accessing the site from all locations is a firm condition by Google. Think of that: the Google bot checking the site can (physically  installed and) run from any of Google's locations worldwide.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’