AdWords
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

AdWords Account Suspended for "Site not Found"

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I've been on AdWords, purchasing advertising for my site since 2002.  All of a sudden, my site is suspended for "Site not found".  After discussing with AdWords support, I found the reason was because my site was not accessible at all locations.  What I found out was that because I've been blocking IP address ranges (mainly in  China) that have been attacking our server and database, trying to gain access into our system either to sabotage our site or to steal our customers personal information.

Since I only do business in the US and Canada, whenever I see one of these attacks from other countries, I block (through our firewall) the entire range from the IP address owner.  From experience, if I just block that specific IP address instead of the entire range, the attacks just come hours or days later from another IP address.

At a high level, I guess I understand the policy, but when I have a legitimate reason to block access to protect our site and our customers personal information, I feel that an exception should be made.  While the chances that they actually succeed in getting access to the server are slim, these attacks do cost us some amount of bandwidth and CPU and hurts performance of the site while these attacks occur.

Currently waiting on AdWords support to get back to me to see if an exception can be made.. but it doesn't sound like that's going to be the case based on the comments from the support person I talked to.

Anyone else feel I have a legitimate issue with this policy under these circumstances?  If not, does anyone else have any suggestions to resolve this policy issue while still protecting our server and customers personal information?

I welcome any ideas!

Thanks!

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: AdWords Account Suspended for "Site not Found"

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

It is Google's requirement that your website should be accessible from any location, though you aren't targeting any of those locations and hence blocking few locations at the server level is a policy violation. However, your concerns about security and potential attacks are very valid. I wouldn't suggest blocking a range of IPs, as there are tools to dynamically change IPs which would bypass the firewall. Instead, you can try server security tools available in the market (some research is required though) to maintain your website safety and make it available to all locations. That way, you wouldn't be violating the policy and still have a safe website.

Hope that helps!

Good luck,
Sumanth

Sumanth Sridhar

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

@Sumanth Sridhar ;

Could you link the relevant section of the Policy?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Hey @MosheTLV ,

"Your landing page must work properly for all locations, regardless of where you're targeting your ad. Check your landing page on various browsers and devices to make sure that it always links to a working website" (link)

Cheers,

Asaf

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi.. I verify that these are not googlebot IP Addresses. This is a physical person that can not gain access to the site in "some other country".

Here is a link to the policy page:
https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/6021546?hl=en#700

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star
Hi Moshe! Thats the link I was referring to, under 'site not working'.
Sumanth Sridhar

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
Ignore my other post. it shouldn't have been posted.
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Guys,

I am not sure or able to understand this policy well. But I have a few questions which come into my mind. I own a website, I want to market in specific geographies. Then why would Google have problem? If I dont want to show sites to countries where my customers dont exist or I dont have the ability to sell, I can stop my site from being shown to users of that country. It makes sense for me. I want relevant traffic data.

Why would Google suspend my account?

This is my logic, Google cannot rule a webmasters will. It will never. Its a customer centric company and they wont do all this.

A topic worth a debate and also needs a solutions for our fellow community member.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Max,

I know it was an older post but what happened in the end? Was the suspension lifted? Thanks

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

This thread has been closed to new replies.

If you have a new or unanswered question related to this topic, please start a new thread and post a clear, specific and detailed question that describes your particular situation.

To start a new thread, please go to the top level of the Community, and from there, click on the board that is most closely related to your question. After that, you can click on the pink "+" sign in the lower right corner of the screen to start a new topic.

Thank you.