AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Ad disapproved- Robots.txt

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi dear all,

Have you ever met the problem that ads got disapproved beccause of Robots.txt? I checked my landing page and make sure there is no that sort of code in robots.txt

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Ad disapproved- Robots.txt

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Hi Han,

Thanks for your question. 

A robots.txt file is blocking Google from downloading your data feed. To ensure the "Googlebot" is not being blocked, the following two lines of text should be added to the end of your robots.txt file:

User-agent: Googlebot
Disallow:

Note: In order for us to access your site and images, ensure that your robots.txt file allows both user-agents "Googlebot" and "Googlebot-image" to crawl your site. You can do this by adding the following two lines to your file:

User-agent: Googlebot
Disallow:

User-agent: Googlebot-image
Disallow:

Hope that helps. 

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Shanea,
Thanks for your answer.
As you said, "googlebot" can not download my data feed if I add disallow code in my robots.txt file, I think that is for organic part. My quesition is , can not my ads in Adwords be shown if i choose the landing page that robots.txt mentiones? does it means google will think that is a invalid or unreliable link and refuse to show it?
Thanks

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Han,
The short answer is YES. If you block the AdWords bot (For example, if you disallow EVERYTHING in your robots.txt) AdWords cannot "see" your pages.

I wrote an article on this SEVEN years ago now Smiley Happy http://www.redflymarketing.com/blog/fear-the-bots-for-your-quality-score-sanity/

You can disallow everything EXCEPT the AdWords bot if you like. In fact, when testing multiple landing pages with identical text content, it's wise to block them all except from the AdWords bot.

Here's a list of the current Google crawler useragents so you can pick and choose: https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/1061943?hl=en

The last one is the important one.

Hope that helps.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Fantastic, thanks a lot Dave!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Dave,

We're having a problem that we do not have a robots.txt file but the ads are being disallowed because of an issue with one...we're at the point of adding one to just then disallow?

Thanks
M

[ Edited ]
Community Manager
# 7
Community Manager

This 2014 thread has been closed to new replies.

If anyone has a new or unanswered question related to this topic, please start a new thread with a descriptive subject line, and post a clear, specific and detailed question or comment.

This will help other forum members to both see and understand your question fully, and answer it in a useful and effective way.

Thanks!