AdWords
5.6K members online now
5.6K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Ad approval and policy Sale of free items and official services

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, I am looking for a little feedback on any issues that you may be able to pick up, that I have not in relation to a clients site. More specifically, can you see any Adwords Policy Violations?

http:// 123licencecheck .co.uk

Background:

I have a client who used to work for the DVLA and he noted that 22% off applications made on line failed due to errors or omisions.

He then went ahead and set up a premium checking servies, in that he would take the details online, check them for errors/ommissions and get back to the client with suggestions to clarify mistakes before printing the form and sending it off. 

He charges a premium for this aspect of his service based on his years of expertise ( he processed thousands of Driving Licence Appliactions whilst at the DVLA..)

He previously ren the service for some time before his adwords account was suspended  severl months ago.

to be clear,

I am aware that he is offering an additional service on top of that offered by the official website, and this is stated on the site.

• He has offered a link to the official site, explaining that the application can be made for free
  • He has detailed his cost and what they relate to 
  • He has ensured that there is a non-affiliation disclaimer above the fold
  • He has added contact details 
  • He has listed the factual benefits of using his service against just using the official service.

Having read the related policy, I dont see any other things that have been missed - 

A UK google search for the following  renew driving licence brings up several approved ads for sites like 

http://www.driverlicence.co.uk/driving/index.php

http://www.uklicenceservices.co.uk

https://www.licence-services.org.uk

All of these sites seem to have no more or less than the site of my client?

Any suggestions on where any policy violations may be  would be greatly appreciated

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Ad approval and policy Sale of free items and official services

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Tony, our Policy expert @MosheTLV is better suited to the actual policy side of things, but I'll make a couple of observations.

Firstly, the site is headlined "Apply for your licence online" and strongly infers that it actually performs the application (the home page title, for example, is "DVLA: Driving Licence Application Form", which is misleading, to say the least), which is not actually what the site is offering.  The site checks an application, and returns a form which the user must then send to DVLA.

However, my primary observation is that you said the client had previously been suspended.  Note that some suspensions are permanent and will prevent any future advertising by the suspended party.  It seems possible that the suspension in this case may be related to the previous suspension, and not necessarily the current site.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Jon, thank you for taking the time to get back to me and pointing out the clear inference in the header that needed changing..... cant believe I missed that! definitely a case of not being able to see the wood due to the trees!

H1 change made. I hadn’t realized that a suspension would carry forward despite the offending site having been taken down and a compliant one being used in its place. Is there any value in perusing this if the suspense has been imposed for previous ( seemingly related) transgressions ?

It seems to me that it would be more forth wright to accept that the previous site made mistakes and ensure that the new site is compliant under the same account – than telling my client that his adwords account is effectively dead that would presumably lead him to consider ways around this?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

@Jon_Gritton - thanks for pinging.

Hi Tony;

There a number of issues here;

The site does not comply with various sections of the Policy - not only the "free services".  (And in my view, the other sites also  have non compliance  issues, but to a lesser extent)

Collecting privacy information on a non secure page; privacy policy seems to be copied / paste without addressing the  goals of the site, unclear pricing,  a disclaimer which does not meet the requirements, are  to name but a few...

Add to that a past violation, and you are suspended...

First step:

Please copy / paste here the   first suspension email received from Google;
Do not include any personal info (e.g. Email, CID...)

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi MosheTLV,

Thank you for taking the time to take a look and replying in such detail.

I will take a closer look at his Privacy Policy and address any issues that I see, and make the point of the sites data collection more clear and also detail the fact that no data is retained once an application is processed.

I did think that the disclaimer was reasonably clear “We are in no way affiliated with the DVLA, or an agency of the UK government.” – are you referring to the positioning?

I will look at making the pricing even more clear ( it doesn’t appear to me to be intentionally misleading ) by adding “ our service costs between £20 and £40 in addition to DVLA fees”

I will ask him to forward the first suspension email and past it here once I have it.

Again thank you for taking the time to help me understang violations that I may have missed.
Tony

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

MosheTLV

Sorry for the tardy update, I have been waiting for my client to reply.

It seems to me that this is a permanent ban and no amount of help in looking at changing the present site will reverse it?

He has told me today that he received a warning several minutes before the suspension massage – both in May 2014

This is the entire warning and suspension messages are below:

Hello,

We're emailing again to alert you that one or more of your sites violate our advertising policies. Please understand that any additional violations will result in the suspension of your AdWords account (Customer ID: xxxxxxxxx)

How this affects your account:

Unfortunately, if you violate our policies again, your ads from this account and any related accounts won't be able to run and you won't be able to open any new AdWords accounts. You can read more about AdWords' suspension policies at http://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/164786?hl=en_GB&utm_source=policy&utm_medium=email&ut....

What you can do to prevent your account from being suspended:

1. Make the necessary changes to your sites listed here that currently violate our policies:

Display URL(s):
       dvlalicence .co.uk

1.      renewlicenceonline . co.uk

Here are some instructions for reviewing the policy, fixing your site, and then resubmitting it to us: http://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1704383?hl=en_GB&utm_source=policy&utm_medium=email&utm_cam.... Please note that pausing or deleting an ad or ad group that advertises a suspended site will not fix the violation, and your account would still be at risk of being suspended until the issue with your site is resolved.

2. Review our advertising policies to make sure that all of your ads and sites comply with them: http://support.google.com/adwordspolicy?hl=en_GB&utm_source=policy&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=fw.

If you believe that there's been an error, we want to help. Contact us by visiting https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/8206?contact=1&hl=en_GB&utm_source=policy&utm_medium=email... (you'll see our available support channels and hours listed there).

Yours Sincerely,

The Google AdWords Team

--------------
Please do not reply directly to this message, as it was sent from a notification-only email address that doesn't accept incoming email. Instead, please use the contact link included above.

This message was sent from a notification-only email address that does not accept incoming email. Please do not reply to this message. If you have any questions, please feel free to email us through the AdWords Help Center at  https://adwords.google.com/support/bin/request.py.

SUSPENSION MESSAGE

Hello AdWords Advertiser,

Your AdWords account has been suspended because it doesn't comply with our Advertising Policies and our AdWords Terms and Conditions. Please note that this means your account and any related accounts have been suspended, you can't create any new accounts, and your ads will no longer run on Google, our search partners, or on Display Network placements.

If this is an error, we want to get your account back up and running as quickly as possible, and your Google team is here to help. Here's the account:

Customer ID: xxxxxxxxx

To learn more about AdWords suspension policies, please visit
http://adwords.google.com/support/aw/bin/static.py?topic=28449&guide=28446&page=guide.cs&hl=en_GB.

If you have a prepaid balance remaining in your account, you can request a refund at any time by following the instructions at http://adwords.google.com/support/aw/bin/answer.py?answer=8440&hl=en_GB.

This message was sent from a notification-only email address that doesn't accept incoming email. Please do not reply to this message. If you'd like to reach us, you can contact us through the methods described at http://adwords.google.com/support/aw/bin/request.py?&contact_type=form_r0&hl=en_GB.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hello again,

This looks as a landing page violations.

This type  of violation could be un-suspended, after the site  and the content are fixed, and assuming there are no other "skeletons  in the closet". (Other  types  of violations  could be permanent).

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi MosheTLV,

Again, thank you for taking the time with me on this - it is very much appreciated.

That is good news and something that I can work with. I dont think there could be any other skeletons lurking around, the client only recently started using Adwords ( 2-3 months before suspension) and does not have any other online/business interest that would have seen him tangle with Google.

So, I will need to look at:

• The privacy policy - re-do from ground up
  • Clarifying the pricing - Add explicit details of what the service costs in addition to official costs
  • Using SSL - Make the data collection page ( if not the entire domain) Secure
  • The disclaimer - I do think that this is reasonably clear already, can you suggest anything to make it clearer?

Aside from those areas, do you see any other possible areas of concern?

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Tony B
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Tony;

As I said, these were the issues which  immediately  "struck me" when I looked at the site.

Now,  since the site is already suspended, there is no other way but to verify compliance of each section of the Policy. I am sure that you'll find more violations.  We cannot get "that deep" in this community. This is a time consuming process. ( And naturally beyond our scope...).

If you do it right (and no past violations) - you should be un-suspended.